Gearbox repair

I have my gearbox stripped down now, come to do the various settings, and find the 2 bearings in the Moss kit TGK113 are not quite like the ones removed.

The gearbox has been opened before at some time in the past, and the bearings in there are Koyo ones, and have much larger balls than the replacement ones.

Am I being picky or are the new bearings not of such good quality, they must be the same internal and external size, although I haven't taken them out of the wrapper yet? I would have thought that the Koyo would have been a better quality bearing, and stronger with the larger balls!

No doubt many gearboxes have been rebuilt with these rebuild kits with these new bearings.

Also on top of the selector housing there is an open hole, which had a bolt and a rage stuffed in it, I presume I will have to tap this out to take a plug of some sort or should this be the breather hole, but cannot see any reference to it in any of the parts books. Can anybody help here?

John

post-4191-0-34804400-1453645473_thumb.jpgpost-4191-0-91550800-1453645460_thumb.jpg

Edited by John L

Bearings look the same but qualitity may differ and dipstick hole(I did not think they were fitted to TR6,s) earlier cover?

Roger

Thanks Roger

Looks like I need to find sherry bottle cork, and drill a small hole at the front of the cover, I think that been on here recently. Mine is actually a 5.

John

Edited by John L

As Roger has written the vent hole is drilled by a PO in the place where an early car (TR2-3A) would have had a dipstick/filler. My guess is that it has been done as a vent for the gearbox. I would consider fitting a couple of washers and a big split pin in the hole to work as a vent like the rear axle has, or create a screw in side venting arrangement like the A type overdrive.

As to the bearings you may need to think about wallet size and suitable available items if you do not like what came in the kit. They are bearing pt no RMS10N or MJ1 1/4N(seen on the ones you have) The N suffix is important as it denotes circlip groove - which you need.

Be careful that you get the tighter fit type as there are 3 dimensional grades. The new loose fit types feel like worn out old ones when fitted.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hello John

I used this supplier for a set of bearings and seals for my brother in laws differential rebuilt and they were all top quality bearings and seals(main ones were timken)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR6-Gearbox-Bearing-Rebuild-Overhaul-Repair-Kit-/150977595773?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Roger

ps as they say you get what you pay for and you do not want cheap bearings in your gearbox unless you like stripping it each year or less?

Personally I wouldn't use that as a vent hole. There's a lot of oil thrashing around under there and it will leak. I'd plug it permanently and drill the breather hole as laid out in one of my postings on here. It's at the bottom right of the upper rightmost bolt hole on this picture:

gearboxbreatherhole_zps46b056c8.jpg

Edited by peejay4A

Have a very careful look at the synchro rings if supplied in the kit. There were two qualities available. The "standard" ones that I've seen have been more like "christmas cracker" and not even round so that they rock when placed on the cones. The "race" quality ones are fairly good, though probably not as good as a decent used one from 4th or 1st gear.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

With reference to my original post, I have come to fit these different bearing bearings to the input shaft, and now because the outer ring is bigger, the bearing fouls on the chip shield just behind the gear, the shield is obviously made for the original RHP bearings.

I'm interested to know if others have purchased this rebuild kit, and have they found similar problems, I will talk to Moss tomorrow, but don't suppose they will take these ones back as they are part of a kit.

I can of course buy the original type bearings, its just a hassel when you buy a kit from a reputable supplier you would expect them to like the originals, wouldn't you?

I have also just fitted the little button 112424 in the bottom of the gearlever, and its not hardened like the original, so not sure how long that will last.

Moan over, should this be one for the parts group form?

John

Sorted

Moss have advised that they had some wrong bearings delivered, and I was unlucky to get 2 of them, they are sending me 2 of the correct RHP ones.

The plunger, Jeff was not aware that that piece should actually be hardened, but will be looking into it.

Much happier now!

John