Another one from across the pond

Hi all, first post here,although I have been lurking for a few months.

Just awaiting collection of my TR4a from Southampton docks as soon as I get custom's clearance. I have been looking for a 4a for a year or so, and spotted what seems to be a well restored car in Florida on US eBay. After much soul searching, I took the plunge and have done what everyone tells you not to do - buy a car unseen.... I did take as much care as possible though, many emails/phone calls to the seller, and doing a fair amount of background checks before finally parting with the money.

I am using 'Ship my car', who so far, have been very good, arranging the collection from the sellers house and sorting all the paperwork before shipping. It was shipped in a shared container with 3 other cars, and is currently unloaded in a warehouse at the port.

I should be picking the car up soon, hopefully Friday, and I'll report back on how it's going.

One quick question - am I right in thinking I just need headlamps, rear lenses and amber front flasher bulbs to pass the MOT (which will be done on the chassis number).

Over the next few weeks, I plan to convert to RHD, and change the front grill back to standard (which the seller has included). I do need a pair of rear overriders if anyone has them for sale, as they are currently missing.

Cross fingers it's as good as the pictures seem to show!

Ray

post-13621-0-18492800-1446644168_thumb.jpg

Hi Ray,

Welcome to the Forum, and congratulations on your purchase. I'm sure you will be much happier when you see it in the flesh, but from the photo it looks great.

I bought a US TR3a for restoration on Ebay and it never arrived, although I did get all my money back, so I'm aware of the concerns over buying and shipping from abroad. Clearly yours has arrived so no worries there.

It looks like the front indicators are already yellow so no MoT worries there. Can't think of anything else over what you have already mentioned as regards the initial MoT. I would check the age of the tyres though, as, as you will know deep tread doesn't necessarily mean the tyres are newish, nor necessarily in good condition, especially if they may have spent a lot of time in the sun.

No doubt you will be looking out for parts for the rhd conversion. The facias are a little hard to come by, but other than some minor bulkhead welding for the steering column support brackets to attach to it is not too complicated.

I anticipate you will shortly have a big smile on your face after the Friday pick up.

Have fun- that's what it's all about!

Hi Ray, I did something similar but far more stupid. I bought my 63 TR4 californian barnfind project from an online auction site unseen. I was very lucky, the car was complete and straight. Have spent the last 2 years pulling it apart down to the last nut and bolt and now putting it back together. I have never restored a car before and thoroughly enjoying the experience.

I researched the process that I would need to go through, however I am not ready yet. Yes MOT on chassis no, download V55/5, and V355/5 from the DVLA website.

Good luck

Great looking car.

I'm in a similar situation, my imported 4A has its MOT on the chassis number on Tuesday, I've done this before no problems.

The part I'm worried about is registering it with the DVLA as I don't have an original US logbook it didn't come with the car.

Great looking car.

I'm in a similar situation, my imported 4A has its MOT on the chassis number on Tuesday, I've done this before no problems.

The part I'm worried about is registering it with the DVLA as I don't have an original US logbook it didn't come with the car.

usually without a title certificate a car will not be shipped from the US.

I had this problem when exporting a TR250 from Maine. I then discovered that Maine would issue a certificate saying the car did NOT have a title, and this certificate then allowed the car to be exported. the cert cost about $10 only.

Interesting. The seller in Florida sent the title document to the shippers office. This was to enable the car to be released for export by the US customs. I also didn't get the title document with the car, so should I be chasing the shippers to get this to me?

I have applied for a heritage cert, so can I get the car registered with just this and the MOT?

Collected the car on Friday and I'm still grinning... It has been restored to an extremely high standard, and so far, I'm delighted with the purchase. No sign of any rust whatsoever. We had to push the car onto the trailer, as the battery was flat, and I found later that all the fuel had been drained. A quick charge and a gallon if juice when we got home had her running like a sewing machine.

I've converted all the lights, found the dip switch wires swapped around so the main beam could never have worked. Also the heater controls need stripping and freeing off - I guess he never drove the car at night or needed the heater in Florida!

Another member here is sorting me out a pair of rear overriders with lights, as none is fitted to the car at present - perhaps they don't need number plate illumination in the US.

I'll try and activate my Dropbox account and post up the original sellers pictures later today.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Having looked at all the photos it appears to be a very well restored car, strong colours which is bit of an American trend, I bet it will drive well.

I see it has a very nice "period" aftermarket steering wheel - a Les Leston I am guessing.........!!!!

Regards, Richard

I've done a bit more research today. One thing that is slightly strange is that the production number on the plate is CTC54479, but I was expecting an 'L' at the end to indicate LHD. I suppose the production number has come from a UK car, but quite how it got to Florida is a mystery. Also,it has overdrive but doesn't have the 'O' suffix, but I guess this could have been added when it was rebuilt.

Having fitted the new headlamps, I am struggling with refitting the chrome rims. I note this seems to be a common problem, as the design was changed many times. Looks like I have new bowls (or bucket's?), but the original rims which don't seems to fit well at all. If you tighten the securing screw/bolt (one has a self tapper!)it wants to flip out at the top.

Perhaps the best way is to junk the lot and get new matching bowls and rims?

Ray

usually without a title certificate a car will not be shipped from the US.

I had this problem when exporting a TR250 from Maine. I then discovered that Maine would issue a certificate saying the car did NOT have a title, and this certificate then allowed the car to be exported. the cert cost about $10 only.

I have a copy of the previous owners licence and the log book is underneath in the photocopy, no idea where the original went.

Is it possible to obtain a log book from the US? It was registered in New york State.

...Is it possible to obtain a log book from the US? It was registered in New york State.

We have no equivalent to the log book system in the US. Vehicle ownership is tracked by a "Certicate of Title" state document which is reissued with each new owner (sometimes with a reference to the previous document, but not farther back than that). Registration numbers change all the time because they're issued to the owner not the vehicle in most states and plate design changes are made every few years -- every year in most states when our cars were new.

Privacy laws limit what the states can share even if their old records do contain useful information.

Bottom line -- it's very tough to trace vehicle history in the US. The commission number is the only thing consistent over the years, so it's the most important identifier of a vehicle over here.

Edited by Don H.

We have no equivalent to the log book system in the US. Vehicle ownership is tracked by a "Certicate of Title" state document which is reissued with each new owner (sometimes with a reference to the previous document, but not farther back than that). Registration numbers change all the time because they're issued to the owner not the vehicle in most states and plate design changes are made every few years -- every year in most states when our cars were new.

Privacy laws limit what the states can share even if their old records do contain useful information.

Bottom line -- it's very tough to trace vehicle history in the US. The commission number is the only thing consistent over the years, so it's the most important identifier of a vehicle over here.

Thanks Don. Is it possible to get hold of a title document? What is a commission number?

The photocopy I have says New York State Registration Receipt. On it are the details of the car such as chassis number, weight, seats, fuel type, no. of cylinders and name/address of the previous owner......but it is a copy not original.

C

Thanks Don. Is it possible to get hold of a title document? What is a commission number?

The photocopy I have says New York State Registration Receipt. On it are the details of the car such as chassis number, weight, seats, fuel type, no. of cylinders and name/address of the previous owner......but it is a copy not original.

C

Your registration document is a good start! It being a copy matters not. The registration almost certainly has the commission number on it. That's simply Standard-Triumph terminology for what most would call chassis number. There should be a combination of letters and numbers starting with CTCxxxxx. See THIS Vintage Triumph Register website page for more info (bottom of page).

Getting a copy of the title will be near impossible without a valid reason to bypass privacy laws. Researching a classic car isn't good enough anymore. It needs things like the vehicle being suspected of being stolen or something.

But with the previous owners name, etc, you've got a great clue to follow. Have you tried Googling them to see if you can find an address or telephone? A call to them might -- just maybe -- open the door to a lot more information.

Edited by Don H.