Alloy rocker cover distortion

Recently bought a shiny alloy rocker cover (well, Christmas isn't far away!) to replace my rather battered and leaky original.

However, found the flange on the new one wasn't flat - while both ends touched the surface, one side flange had a gap of 0.5 mm in the centre, while the other was 1.5 mm out.

Returned it for replacement, but supplier could not find one in stock which was any better, though they did say they had sold 170 of them without complaint.

My question is, am I being too picky, or am I right in thinking that the cork gasket is unlikely to pull down enough to seal properly, given that the bolts are only supposed to be tightened to 5 lb ft?

Any comments or experiences gratefully received - thank you.

John

Got mine from Rimmer or Moss with same problem.

Milled the gasket surface and it works now.

Was a bit tricky because I clamped the top down

and the sides of the cover tend to swing when the cutter touches.

But with high revs and small cutting amount it worked.

Fixed the cover with Dirko HT than instead the rubber gasket.

Poor Chinese quality with no doubt but on the other side it was about 50GBP

what can not be quality for that price......

So I was one of the 170 who did not claim....

Hi John,

rather than a cork gasket why not TRy one of the Silicon liquid gaskets - I think that is what Andreas is pointing to.

Roger

PS - or you could TRy to machine the cork gasket (with a sanding disc)

Edited by RogerH

Hi John,

rather than a cork gasket why not TRy one of the Silicon liquid gaskets...

Here's the silicone gasket type used by many over here.

http://www.the-vintage-racer.com/index.php/gasket-innovations/triumph-gaskets

Note that Joe Alexander offers two TR6 valve cover gaskets -- one for the stock cover, another for the popular alloy replacement cover.

DSCN4990-500x500.JPG

John

A new alloy cover should not be bent - and if 170 have been sold without complaint, that's more of a reflection on buyers tolerance of unfit for purpose stock than what's right.

The chances are that a cover like this will blow oil out, even if not immediately and particularly on a high performance engine (or indeed a worn out one with higher than normal valve cover pressure). I doubt very much if you could tighten it down very much without causing damage as I recall these to be very lightweight items. My point here is that if you damage it, you own it.

Whilst the silicon gaskets are Definately better, it won't solve a bent or poorly machined cover.

If it were me, I'd be returning the cover and if a decent one can't be supplied I'd taking my business elsewhere.

Regards

Tony

...A new alloy cover should not be bent - and if 170 have been sold without complaint, that's more of a reflection on buyers tolerance of unfit for purpose stock than what's right....

This sounds like a job for... the Parts Quality Initiative!

"Made in China" doesn't automatically mean low quality, although it certain can. The big risk with made-in-China is that ya never know. It all depends on what the principal demands. Look at an iPhone, for example -- superb quality made in China. I'm sure wherever these valve covers are being made that if the group sourcing them demands quality, they'll get it.

Edited by Don H.

Maybe another stupid question (no intention to offend any enthusiast here) just curiosity:

Apart the look, what is the benefit for an Alay cocker cover (TR 4cyL or 6 cyl)?

Note: I have a original one since years, no specific issue or tendency to leak, I like the look of the Aloy cover but I see a lot of complaints also in France with poor quality)

Regards

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

I have already returned the cover for a refund (including return carriage) so I think I will give it one more roll of the dice and get another one from a different supplier, then follow Neil's method using RTV.

Neil - were you suggesting I use RTV with a cork gasket?

Thanks again for all your advice.

John

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

I have already returned the cover for a refund (including return carriage) so I think I will give it one more roll of the dice and get another one from a different supplier, then follow Neil's method using RTV.

Neil - were you suggesting I use RTV with a cork gasket?

Thanks again for all your advice.

John

John

Correct.

"supplier could not find one in stock which was any better, though they did say they had sold 170 of them without complaint."

And how often have we heard variations on that theme quoted . . . . . . ?

They can repeat bullsh*t as often as they like, it doesn't make it true.

There's no point in trying to make silicone gaskets the size of draught excluders, sooner rather than later they give way . . . . .

A £70 alloy rocker cover is likely to be cast badly and out of crapiti, you get what you pay for.

The old Triumph Tune covers used to be a lot better, but then they were around double the price, as in what you'd expect to pay for a half decent product.

Cheers

Alec

"supplier could not find one in stock which was any better, though they did say they had sold 170 of them without complaint."

And how often have we heard variations on that theme quoted . . . . . . ?

They can repeat bullsh*t as often as they like, it doesn't make it true.

There's no point in trying to make silicone gaskets the size of draught excluders, sooner rather than later they give way . . . . .

A £70 alloy rocker cover is likely to be cast badly and out of crapiti, you get what you pay for.

The old Triumph Tune covers used to be a lot better, but then they were around double the price, as in what you'd expect to pay for a half decent product.

Cheers

Alec

Hi Alec

They also forget the quality of the cap ;)

Marc

None nil, apart from the top does not distort from over tightening .

Thanks' for the comment ntc, over tightening is the issue and in case the rocker cover not in good shape the Aloy is an option.

Regards

Gents, I will put my hands up to being a bit 'picky' when it comes to quality of supplied parts etc.

However, I work in a business where much of the product is of Chinese manufacture.

The truth is, they do not produce cr*p product, unless their customers allow/accept it!!!

I have seen many quality issues, which were speedily rectified when the customer (us) refused to accept the goods or grow their business.

The price does not always automatically go up, as the Chinese manufacturers want the business too!!

The issue is not with the manufacturers, but with the 'Middle man'!!

If we, as end users, register our dissatisfaction and return/do not buy the goods, the Middle men will have to improve their offering, either in price or quality, or they will go bust!!

What we must not do, is 'be British' and suffer in silence!!

There is a chance that 'Mr Chinese Manufacturer' has never had his QA questioned by the likes of Rimmers/Moss etc (other suppliers also apply!!)

If nobody ever tells him, then guess what.............

Rant over.

Sorry, it's been a long month this week!

^_^

Good point, John - hopefully I've done my bit on this occasion

by rejecting the product and also being reimbursed the return carriage, which must have left the supplier nursing a loss on the transaction, but I imagine this is just a fleabite unless it happens more often.

Kind regards, John