Pully machining required

HI All, looking for a favour from anybody who may have access to a lathe to skim off 5mm from the boss of an alternator pulley.

I've just installed a damped narrow belt pulley kit to my late TR4 (the Moss kit everybody seems sells) and apart from the fan belt (for the want of a better term) being too long and at the top end of the adjustment, which seems to have come up in a number of posts, but I'll just have to and buy a slightly shorter belt at Halfords plus a spare.

The key issue is the Alternator/Dynamo pulley (that came with the kit) is running about 5 mm too far forward causing a noticeable step in the belt as it runs .

The pulley boss that presses up against the dynamo fan needs to be reduced in thickness by 5mm to bring the belt in to line with the crank and water pump pulleys.

I'm guessing there is no point in going back to the supplier as this is a standard kit and they will all be like it.

Is there anybody who can skim off 5mm from the Aluminium pulley? I'll happy pay postage and for your time.

Regards

Mark

Should have mentioned the wide belt pulleys were all in line before, so it not the Dynamo/alternator out of line.

Edited by MRG1965

Hi Mark,

couple of questions -

1, can the alternator be set back 5mm? - easiest result.

2, Is the alternator spindle parallel (straight) or tapered - if tapered it could get interesting.

If there is nobody local to help then I could do it but am in West London (Heathrow area).

Are you positive that removing 5mm from the Alt side of the pulley will do it?

Roger

Seems to be a standard problem, I had to do the same on one a while ago, luckily someone local with a lathe did it for me.

Stuart.

As Roger says moving alternator back is prefered - I think I had the same trouble with mine, and moving alternator was not difficult, but I may altered the mounting kit by adding / deleting washers, or even modifying a pillar (on a lathe)

I also would be happy to skim your pulley, I am in Leatherhead.

Bob.

If you can find no one local, try a local College of Knowledge? They may teach lathe skills.

Northampton College has course in fabrication and in motor engineering.

Worth an ask?

http://www.northamptoncollege.ac.uk/courses.html?marketing_type=Apprenticeships

John (in Lancaster, or I could help you)

Edited by john.r.davies

Hi yes straight pinion shaft so will be okay, may have to put washer on front, but should be okay.

Thought about cutting the pilar down and moving the back alternator bracket behind the bracket on block, but this would move it closer to exhaust manifold and would move the misalignment to the rear rather than front. Cutting down rear by 5mm is the best option.

Car needs to go for mot tuesday and then the 10 miles to Silverstone so will be after silverstone before I can take off road again.

Mark

John,

Good suggestion, the local training colleges often will do small (and sometimes not so small) machining or welding on items with a real life application, which they can allow the students to gain skills on (normally supervised by a tutor).

Mick Richards

If you don't find a local or alternative solution I can do it for you if you post it to me.

You can get a lathe that will fix almost everything on a TR for a few hundred pounds.

It'll do domestic plumbing, garden tool repairs, broken kitchen utensils and so on.

It is also quite good fun, as long as you keep away from too much production work.

Failing that, pulley in vice (you have a vice... right ?)

Hacksaw 4mm off the boss at 90 deg to the line of the shaft or in line with the pulley when it's in plane (allowing a 1mm variance in case your hacksawing is a little...variable (you have a hacksaw ...right ?)

Then file the rough edge of the hacksaw cut hub flat in the same direction as the hacksaw cut, using the 1mm variance to ensure you don't take off too much and making the final amount of material removed 5mm or thereabouts, (you have a file...right ?).

Don't worry about it being at exact 90 degree when finished, the shaft going through the fan pulley will not allow the pulley to vary from it chosen plane ie it will be in line with the other pulley's as regards the shaft. As long as the 5mm amount removed is thereabouts (closer the better obviously) it will prevent the pulley being positioned incorrectly.

There you go, art of Coarse TR engineering fix 18, not of the fabled matching double digit series...66,33 or even the never to be forgotten 88 but from the simpler end of the spectrum, doesn't stop it being effective though.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

I love it, Bodgers 1 - TR 0

Rgds Ian

I Thankyyyyoooooouuuuu ta boom tush.

Mick Richards