Hi JJC,

.........or http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/626/12-volt-4-pin-electronic-flasher-relay

This works very well on the 4A - separate earth wire and socket - not sure about the earlier cars though.

Roger

I have a modern type (like this) in my '3 works fine, & with a bit of wiring electrickery you can have hazard warning function as well.

Bob.

Not sure about the warning light connections - you may have to isolate the earthy end, & connect it to +12V instead.

Alternatively, why not convert car to be -ve earth.

Bob.

The unit in my post is not polarity sensitive.

In a plastic case and quite cheap.

Roger

Roger

Thanks - I'll get one of those. On the bright side though whilst grumpily kicking boxes in the garage loft I found a box labelled original flasher unit still working! Just needs a fixing plate that's all. So I might be on the road tomorrow after all.JJC

I plan to ring them Monday to find out. Meanwhile! Bob, I think you're right about connecting the other side of the warning light to -ve but even then it may not work because the +ve rail will be switching because that's connected to the bulbs. JJC

You could forget the third terminal on the unit, & simply wire your warning lamp across the two sides (left & right pairs of bulbs)

That is how the later cars are wired anyway. If say you are indicating left, then you have intermittant 12V on the left pair of bulbs, & 0V on the right pair.

The warning lamp finds it's earth through the unused pair of bulbs.

Bob.

P.S. Personally I would switch to -ve earth, fit an alternator, narrow fan belt etc & be done with it :ph34r:

When my flasher unit stopped working, I continued to drive my TR3A. But at each turn, I would click the flasher lever on the control head "on and off" - "on and off", etc. From outside it looked like the flasher unit was in perfect order and the turn signals were flashing correctly.