Hello one and all. When I acquired my lovely motor, the electric screen washer pump was not functioning. To cut a very long story short, and with the pressure of the car being used next weekend to carry future daughter in law to the church to marry my son, I decided to fit a manual version sourced from SCPARTS. I have to say their service has been dreadful but that is another story. The pump picks up from the reservoir OK but pressure is not maintained in the pipes to the jets. As such I just get a dribble!!

So is this a dodgy pump, air getting in the outflow "system" (I have check all the hose connections) or something else which you gurus may be able to point to? Any advice much appreciated!

Cheers

John

Non return valve will help, poor pump wont, beats me why anyone deals with them now.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

I ordered a new reservoir and non-return valve at the same time, so I would hope it is not the non-return valve. For clarification, it sucks from the res. without difficulty and maintains a full tube from there to the pump. When the pump plunger is released it appears to suck most of the contents in the tubes to the jets back, and I just finish up with a foamy mess. I had hoped it would be a straightforward and speedy job, whilst I had the old glove box out before fitting the new one. The best laid plans…..!! I appreciate it is not the end of the world if I don't have a screen washer functioning, but you know how it is. you just want to get things right!!

Dave many thanks for your kind message. Hope all is well in Spain!

Thanks for your messages so far guys, much appreciated.

John

Me again! I think I may have dropped a you know what! Having dug around a bit more, I realise that the non-return valve on the inlet tube inside the res. is not the only one. There should be an inline one on the outlet side too! It is this second one which I don't have. Best place to get one speedily guys? any advice? 4mm connectors?

Thanks again, and apologies for being a wee bit blonde!

Cheers

John

Guys you are brilliant! How could a guy not realise that there needs to be a non-return valve in both sides of the pump!!! I blame me tablets!

I have ordered one for tomorrow delivery, all will be well…...

Thanks again…end of topic!

John

Hi,

I didn't know that TR 3's came with a screen washer, was that an option?

Yves

A windscreen washer was a common dealer-fitted option on sidescreen TRs.

Moss do a replacement manual pump for the TR4 - it's designed to fit MGs as well, and all the fittings (plus instructions) are in the box.

I had need of this replacement because the original rubber diaphragm in my car's pump was disintegrating after 53 years (so out of warranty!), and had filled all the tubing and the jets with small particles, causing a complete blockage. It took quite a while to flush out all the muck!

Ian Cornish

. . . . the original rubber diaphragm in my car's pump was

disintegrating after 53 years (so out of warranty!),

Ian Cornish

You must have got a duff one, Ian.

Mine is still going str . . . well, still squirting!

AlanR

I found that a standard non return valve as bought in Halfords for Instance, has a spring inside holding it closed that the manual pump couldn't overcome, I popped it apart and removed the spring and it's fine now.

Steve

Well…..we did it! My little beauty made it all the way to Oxfordshire and back, and delivered the bride to the church on time. A total of about 370 miles and she never missed a beat!. Dave, you were quite right, we didn't need the screen washers after all……but reassuring to know they are there!! Thanks again guys for all your help and contributions, really appreciated! I will attempt to attach a photo. Cheers. Johnpost-13269-0-65654700-1432742060_thumb.jpeg

Nice car, like the black wires they give a good colour contrast to the body, interesting side screen colour too.

Stuart.

Thanks for your kind words Stuart. The sidescreens are as came with the car, when bought in February. The car was originally supplied to America. They are unpainted aluminium. I am not sure whether to leave them as they are, or have them covered or painted! They could be AMCO aftermarket ones. Any thoughts?

I, along with everyone else on her really appreciate your input to all the queries posted!

John

They could be AMCO aftermarket ones. Any thoughts?

I, along with everyone else on her really appreciate your input to all the queries posted!

It certainly looks like it. I have a pair of these on the shelf as well: mine have a vinyl 'skirt' and not the alloy part. But given the flimsy-ness of the skirts, I would't be surprised to see that a previous owner replaced them.

A few detailed pics, would help. Perhaps it's something I can do with my pair as well. Gives it a different look!

Menno