Oil in my bellhousing

Nick,

Is it on the flywheel, clutch plate and/or rear lowermost part of the engine/bellhousing mating surfaces?

If so, most likely to be the rear oil seal.

If just around the first motion shaft seal and working its way outwards then it's that seal.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi All,

I have dried oil in my bellhousing(that almost doesn't sound correct), the car had been sitting for 3 years.

Any ideas?

Not enough clues :)

in the bottom?, splattered all around? a thick black gloop? dried brown & baked? cleanish? Have you split the engine and gearbox before?

Look on the bright side. At least you know that the engine and/or gearbox once had oil in it.

Hello Nick,

I experienced an identical problem when I recently removed my gearbox. As the useful previous posts suggest if the clutch and flywheel are dry it is most likely the gearbox first motion shaft seal. I cleaned the bell-housing thoroughly and left it on the bench for a few days and sure enough the seal was leaking. I had the seal replaced which appears to have cured the problem.

Hope this helps

Regards, Peter

Thanks for all your answers.

After further investigation i think it is the from the crankshaft rear oil seal.

Someone did suggest standing the gearbox on its end for a few days and see if any oil comes out.

Just wondered what you guys think to that.

Thanks for all your answers.

After further investigation i think it is the from the crankshaft rear oil seal.

Someone did suggest standing the gearbox on its end for a few days and see if any oil comes out.

Just wondered what you guys think to that.

It will certainly show up if there is a leak!

Stuart.

As you know mate there are oil seals and oil seals ;)

Well if he stands it on end it`ll soon tell if its a good one or not ;)

Stuart.