Surrey top seal retainer

Hi Folks,

does anybody know of a source of stainless steel seal retainers .

I'm in the process of tidying up the rear frame and thought about using something better than the usual mild steel item.

This is the thing I'm replacing

Dodgy link

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Mike,

you're quite right but I find that these retainers chip and flake more that any other part of the car..

I just thought that a bit of SS would sort it good and proper.

I'll probably have to get some ordinary ones form Moss and give then a good coat of 2K.

Roger

Wrong, sorry Roger but they need as little paint on them as you can get away with to stop them chipping. 1 coat of red primer and then two coats of colour or just enough to colour is fine.When fitting them use a bit of sealer up the contact face and with a suitable sized punch then flatten the rivet heads in so that its easier to slide the rubber seal up into the channel. That means less chance of chipping when trying to fit them.

Stuart.

Roger,

Intrigued by how you manage to chip them, it implies they are coming into contact with something hard during use. (!)

Are you hitting them as you enter and exit the car with the surrey/hardtop on? And what are you hitting them with?

I think we should be told.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Mike

Hi Mike,

frustration !! you have to hit something. :P

I think the main problem is fitting the seal. And then noticing sometime after.

Do others use an angle grinder and hammer to fit the rubber seal. :huh:

Roger

Roger,

Purely by luck (I think), I found that the Rimmers seals fit nicely into the Moss retainers.

As Stuart says, reduce the projection of the blind rivets. I also turned down the head of the rivet to fit inside the channel, and made up a short extra narrow nose for the rivet tool, as mine was too wide to fit inside the channel.

Mike

Just seat the seal in a big snot of sikaflex - use black or to will look like a bodge.

Peter W

PS I have that sect in aluminium, it comes from some MG of sorts I think, I use it for lower seal retainers of TR2/3 aeroscreens - I attach that channel with JB Weld (liquid bailing twine) http://www.jb-weld.co.uk