tr6 trunnion bolt seized

Hi, I have come across an old problem while trying to replace the trunnion bushes, that is the bolt securing them is seized. In reading the forum I have noticed one method is to saw the bolt at both ends of the trunnion. I am concerned that I may damage the trunnion using this method as I am a clumsy so and so. Does anyone know of another successful method, other than stripping down the whole front suspension.

Many thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

whatever method you use will be a little industrial and may cause damage to the trunnion.

if you disconnect the wishbones at the chassis end you should be able to undo the trunnion from the vertical link (I think).

Can the nut end wishbone come off ; if so remove it.

Hacksaw as much of the bolt threaded end off as possible

You could now drill into the bolt to open it up as big as possible. At some point turning the bolt head will shear off the remaining bolt shank.

It may now be possible to hack saw the remaining shank in the trunnion (carefully).

Once you have broken through the shank thickness the bolt should be in a condition to tap out (it may be more than tapping).

Good luck

Roger

Roger

My experience has been that if the bolt is seized the trunion and usually the upright are also in bad shape. So you may as well cut through the trunnion (after removing the upright). I find an angle grinder quickest.

Cheers

Tim

well got the trunnion off with a mixture of hacksaw for the nut end and angle grinder for the bolt end. No damage to report but the bolt is well and truly seized in the trunnion. Is it worth trying to get this out as the thread shows no sign of wear, or should I just scrap and fit new ones which may not be as good quality?

Andy

Hi Andy

What's your vertical link threads like? If you can get the bolt out without any damage then that's good but I started a similar job a couple of years ago (hoping to just do the bushes) and ended up replacing trunnions, vertical links and stub axles. One thing allways leads to another :o

I got all my bits from Moss and the quaility was good, I just had to soft solder the bottom steel plates in, to stop the oil leaking out.

Thanks very much to all of you. I will have a go at salvaging the trunnion as the threads on the vertical link are fine and the trunnion is full of grease not oil. Is it the grease that has caused the trunnion bushes to seize ( i.e. not getting through as it should be oil ) or are they supposed to self lubricate ( nylon bushes) and the grease/oil is just to lubricate the vertical link/trunnion thread?

Andy

The grease/oil only lubes the vertical link/trunnion thread. The cross bolt was probably assembled dry as they do require a decent lube when assembling.

Stuart.

Is it possibly the bolt is seized in the steel bushes that run inside the nylons, rather than the bolt seized in the trunion?

Disc cut the bush off the bolt and the bolt may then just push out the trunion.

I do have some NOS Stanpart trunion nylon top hat bushes, steel bushes, hardened washers, water seals & shields etc - No bolts though. PM me if interested and I will search my bag of bits.

Cheers

Peter W