Waterless coolant

Tea leaves idea is not so daft. Tea contains tannins and tannic acid can be used to stabilise rust.

One of the ingredients of this rust stabiliser is tannin-like compounds ( pyrogallic acids)

http://www.retro-uk.com/fertan.htm

So.... fill the rad with PGTips and brew up as you drive.

And that is why I love this forum...

Evans to PG tips in one giant leap, fantastic.

First good use for PG Tips I've heard of for quite a while . . . . . it isn't worth drinking any longer.

Yorkshire Tea, proper stuff not those wretched perforated paper condoms, knocks PG Tips into a cocked hat. :D

As for distilled water harming engines . . . . give me strength. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Alec

Hi Guys,

Please don't shoot the messenger, as a steam queen used to 60 bar boilers it doesn't make sense to me either perhaps it was the acidic ph which was the reason but distilled water in boilers has quite a chemical pack added to maintain a reserve of alkalinity along with oxygen scavengers like hydrazine and regular blowdowns to get rid of the other nasties which are made to settle out in the bottom so perhaps it's not so daft as it sounds?

Graham

Hi Guys,

Please don't shoot the messenger, as a steam queen used to 60 bar boilers it doesn't make sense to me either perhaps it was the acidic ph which was the reason but distilled water in boilers has quite a chemical pack added to maintain a reserve of alkalinity along with oxygen scavengers like hydrazine and regular blowdowns to get rid of the other nasties which are made to settle out in the bottom so perhaps it's not so daft as it sounds?

Graham

No shooting of any messengers here at all, Graham. But it still seems as daft as it sounds (smile).

Are you saying 60 bar boilers do need water treatments with distilled water, yet they don't with tap water? Anything that makes distilled water bad is likely to be worse for tap water, IMO.

Pure water has pH.7.2. If it is allowed to equilibrate with atmospheric CO2 it drops to 5-ish. That's acid. But there's only tiny amounts of acid in the water which will be easily buffered by the 'alkalinity' packs ( aka buffers to a scientist).

Tap water will have ca 1mM chloride, so topping up boilers with that would steadily raise the salt level. NaCl promotes corrosion.**

Peter

( ** I hope the TRs that crossed the causeway to Holy Island - see TRaction - hosed the sea water off really thoroughly...)

Peter's chemistry is spot on - I say this as one who was a Chartered Chemist in a previous life.

A Triumph classic motorsport competitor who I know blames waterless coolant for an untimely head gasket failure at a major event a few years ago. Can't substantiate this but he has never used it since (understandable) and neither has he had further HG failures.

Glycol antifreeze/water works - why change?

Nigel

Yorkshire tea here also Alec well said that man :):)

No to Evans :o

Cheers

Mike B)

And remember folks if you can't stand your spoon up in it, tip it down the drain and try again, Has to be heart burn tea all the way ;)

F in tea

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/07July/Pages/do-fluoride-levels-in-cheap-tea-pose-a-health-risk.aspx

On the other hand it might preserve your teeth. I recall that very high natural fluoride levels in local tap water leads to mottling of the teeth and less decay. 'Maldon tooth' was the textbook example:

https://mbsbham.wordpress.com/tag/history-of-medicine-unit/

So there the choice you tea drinkers:

flash your rot-free gnashers and hobble around on crutches

or drink coffee.

and dont go near Maldon.

Peter

(Maldon GS 1956-1963 )

No shooting of any messengers here at all, Graham. But it still seems as daft as it sounds (smile).

Are you saying 60 bar boilers do need water treatments with distilled water, yet they don't with tap water? Anything that makes distilled water bad is likely to be worse for tap water, IMO.

No you wouldn't put tap water anywhere near them although in the old days of Scotch boilers I believe there were parts of Scotland where the local water was deemed good enough if you were really stuck!

If you have a rainwater butt in a hard water area that would probably be good as an alternative to tap water, have a look inside your kettle as an indication of what your local water is like, most important ingredient is good quality anti freeze in the recommended proportion flushed and changed every 2 years for the conventional variety.

Just wish I could remember where I'd read the warning about distilled water being bad, it was definitely on a car related forum though.

Just waiting for some better weather so I can get out and test my refurbed MU.

Regards

Graham