odd handbrake advice sought please

4AAFA749-A09B-42C6-A22C-A833F8827C5B_zps

this is my handbrake, its got a flyoff mechanism which i don't like. Its also got a second hole to increase the leverage which currently isn't being used.

is this a standard handbrake?, has it been modified and how should it look?

closer pic

5E38F570-D2B1-4C10-B881-C396835FE740_zps

I can't figure out how to return the mechanism back to standard so any help would be appreciated

thanks

Gary

Have a look on ebay, there's one on offer from the USA which has a good pictures for you to compare to your one, which looks standard to me?

A fly off isn't standard on the TR6 so it looks like a PO has either modified the original or fitted a 4A one. I seem to recall reading somewhere how to covert a fly off to normal operation but can't remember where, sorry.

The extra hole is a mod much referred to in the forum and it increase the handbrake effectiveness.

Edit: here's one entry on the forum. http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/37226-handbrake-conversion/

Edited by peejay4A

thanks, I think you told me about the extra hole on a different thread, I'd like to return the handbrake back to standard but don't know if the parts I have can be used or not. I'm sure the handbrake lever, ratchet and cable attachment are all standard but I'm not sure about the pawl and connecting lever. If they are standard how have they been altered and what should they be returned to?

thanks

Gary

Gary,

I think that the only difference is the pawl (part no. 104737). Both the TR4A and 6 have the same part no. for the ratchet.

My TR6 has only one hole in the lever and appears to be in the position of your upper hole. Whoever has drilled the second hole has probably made the lever even worse.

Cheers

Graeme

no I think that's how its been modified to a fly off handbrake and the hole drilled.

I think the rod should pass through/over/round the upper part of the pawl but I'm not sure and don't see how it would be attached inside the lever casing

Hi Gary

Just dug mine out .

It is the non fly off ,the release rod goes over the top of the pawl.

Spoon shape not attached just fits over.

The hole nearest the fulcrum pin is the original.

Interestingly mine does not have a cover over the ratchet plate were it protrudes out the top when hand brake is off.

Mark

PS sorry would post a pic but system not letting me since my profile pic disappeared.

So you need the TR6 pawl 107437, a new rod and knob 141688 and possibly a new spring 104740 if yours is missing. And I think the hole where your clevis is attached is the original position.

Edited by peejay4A

I've been looking but can't find one on ebay

I think the connection hooked through the bottom of the pawl should somehow connect to the top of the pawl, but I don't know how

It's still there!

Under 'TR6 Handbrake' there are 22 UK entries...several more related items then further down '31 International ebay sellers' it's in that list...

It's $43 (£23) but doesn't have that extra hole yours has, and the operating Rod isn't poking out like yours is! otherwise like yours it's a standard brake handle!

Strange that the Hole on that Lever is so High Up,thought the Original Hole was Lower and the optional one that is Drilled is the higher one,Now Confused.

I thought that as well, as I have been thinking of doing that mod. Maybe they made a U S version as in http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4d2b5e30e2. Rimmers show a pic http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-UKC6206and the say UK.

Edited by Kevo_6

That's why I said I thought that the clevis was in the original position. If the upper one was original it wouldn't leave any room to do the modification for more leverage. Unless, as Kevo says, the U.S. one was different.

Edited by peejay4A

Happy hour in the garage tonight and problem solved. With the help of above suggestions, pictures and links I decided to remove the dodgy exterior link straighten it and reshape it to go over and round the pawl. Some careful measurement and marking out and the handbrake now operates as it should. I decided to use the middle hole, nearer the fulcrum and I now have about 50% more travel on the handbrake lever. This should equate to about 30% more force applied to the handbrake linkage at the drum. Some adjustment and I may well be done

Many thanks gents

Gary

The hole further from the pivot point will increase the cable travel and also the pull required to apply the brake due to the decrease in angular travel of the lever and reduced lever advantage . Conversely hole near to pivot will reduce cable travel for the same lever angle change thus effort to apply brake will be reduced due to the increased lever advantage ,if there is wear in the system,the hole near to pivot will result in a much longer lever pull. This setting will seem to require less effort to apply a firm brake, pulling through a longer ark you will have in fact used the same energy, levers are great. GIVE ME A LEVER LONG ENOUGH AND A PLACE TO REST IT I WILL MOVE THE WORLD.

The hole further from the pivot point will increase the cable travel and also the pull required to apply the brake due to the decrease in angular travel of the lever and reduced lever advantage . Conversely hole near to pivot will reduce cable travel for the same lever angle change thus effort to apply brake will be reduced due to the increased lever advantage ,if there is wear in the system,the hole near to pivot will result in a much longer lever pull. This setting will seem to require less effort to apply a firm brake, pulling through a longer ark you will have in fact used the same energy, levers are great. GIVE ME A LEVER LONG ENOUGH AND A PLACE TO REST IT I WILL MOVE THE WORLD.

Principle of moments. FxS (ccw) =FxS (cw). ( pity apple with its multi billion bollar profit can't let me do simple physics equations easily on my iPad)

Ta

I cant tell from the physical object, both holes look worn, both look well drilled and both look clean

I think from looking at pictures and the geometry of the 'ear' where the hole is located that the outer hole was original. The outer hole is at the centre of the radius of the curve at the bottom of the 'ear'. Why would triumph have located the original hole in a random position relative to the shape of the 'ear'?

That's my reasoning anyway

Gary

Hi Gary,

your logic is reasonable, but!!. If ST did use the closer hole then why waste all that metal where the further hole is sited.

Answer - perhaps they used the 4A design and simply popped another hole in to make the action easier.

However looking at it another way - if the nearer hole was the new original hole then why would anybody make the action worse by putting that extra hole in.

Looking at how the operating rod was assembled wrong I would suggest that somebody attacked the handle, inserted a new hole, couldn't reassemble the rod correctly so put the whole thing back together again (badly) and gave up.

Well done for sorting it out

Roger

Edited by RogerH