Handbrake Conversion?

What parts would I need to convert my 'Fly Off' to a normal handbrake like in the TR6?

Time and time again the currect fly off seems to stick on and my wife is not totally confident with the current set up.

Thanks

Simon

Simon, if you have a 4a with the centre handbrake it's easy to change it to normal operation (or so I believe). You need to swap the pawl for a TR6 one. If you have the long handbrake on the driver's side on the transmission tunnel then you're in for some engineering.

Edited by peejay4A

Thanks PeeJay, It is the centre TR4a type although it all just sounds too easy! See my post 2 steps forward 5 steps back!

I realise the seats and carpets will have to come out - again!

So are you saying its just a modified Pawl and thats all?

Cheers

Simon

Having done this conversion the other way (albeit a LONG time ago on my rally Vitesse swapping the fly-off mechanism with my TR4A) is think it is a straight swap. You may need both pawl and rod (see numbers 67 & 65 here: http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=2408 )

I don't think it's even a major job as it may all be accessible with everything in situ, except the rubber boot, but I might be wrong on that - have a look before you take too much out!

Having said all that, I'm with Roger ;-)

Oh, the fly-off is part of the charm. Save the parts in case you want to go back or sell.

Having said that the shop that painted mine last gear was repairing one whose brake had flown-off when it should have stayed home. Ran backwards down a hill of course.

Got to be worth the effort to fool an MOT guy!!

Al.

Simon

Get hold of a complete handbrake lever assembly from a TR6 and simply swap it over - straightforward job, no modifications necessary and you'll end up with a handbrake that actually works. Once fitted, adjust the new handbrake as per the repair operations manual ensuring the cradle where the 2 cables attach to the lever is perfectly balanced.

Bill