My TR3A battery is a new traditional unit and the negative earth grows a white mould. I clean and seal with Vaseline. The battery sits on a plastic battery tray. The car is in dry store and it grows quickly.

It is now showing at the corner of the battery box inside the foot well. It has obviously happened before as there is rust damage in that corner.

How can I stop this and would disconnecting the battery every time I lock up make any difference?

Thanks Richard & H.

That is quite common Richard. The white powder on the battery terminal and battery tray is sulphate which is acidic and is very difficult to stop once it gets a hold. Disconnecting the battery will not stop it. It is caused by misting of acid from out-gassing from the battery or from minor spillage.

On the battery itself you will probably find the connecting lead has become contaminated under the insulation and the best cure there is to replace the lead and terminal connector.

For the tray you can try cleaning back to bare metal and neutralising the area with a solution of baking soda before overpainting with something impervious like Hammerite. There are battery mats available impregnated with alkaline chemicals which will help.

Thanks Viv this sounds exactly what I need. I have checked ebay and can only find it in the USA. The postage is very expensive and I am not sure if you are allowed to send an aerosol in the post anyway.

Is there something available in the UK?

Thanks to everyone for the advice .

Richard & H.

Hi Peter,

I have ordered it from Frosts and hope that it helps.I tried for a long time to find a product on the internet and found a lot of "sealers" but the search ignored the battery and post part of the search. This must be user error and I will have to wait until the week end when my grandson, aged 7, will be able to explain to me.

Thanks

Richard & H.

Hi Richard,

I have an inside track on the items from Frost as I have a printed catalogue from some years ago.

In truth I thought the use of vaseline on the terminals was the old school solution to fluffy terminals.

Peter W

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to clean up the battery posts with the solution of baking soda this afternoon. The outside of the battery had condensation all sides and the base of the battery box was discoloured brown. I have a drain off point in the floor of the box but there is no plastic pipe to the outside world, also the drain off pipe is not at the lowest point. There was also condensation inside the bonnet just over the battery.

This has obviously happened before because the rear edge of the box is rusty and has a long thin hole along the edge.

I am sure someone can explain and offer some advice to stop it getting any worse. I will order a mat on Monday but I do not like the condensation on the outside.

Thanks for any advice

Richard & H

Remove battery, clean the battery box, kill any rust, & re-paint.

Fit a drain tube to the outside world.

Wire brush the terminals, & also the connections to the terminals.

Fit a plastic battery box liner (Moss etc), clean battery, & refit.

Smear vaseline over the posts, & connections, re-fit.

You would have had condensation on the battery (& most other parts of the car) yesterday, it's the weather for it.

Mine was the same. At least the plastic tray will prevent acid, & condensation reaching the battery box.

Bob.

By the way is the fuel gauge working yet ??

I am about 25% through your plan and need to find a plastic liner which covers the entire battery box. It has a tray already. I suppose that they would not be selling plastic liners and replacement metal boxes if this problem was not well recognised.

The fuel gauge is working very well. Thanks for all your help.

I will see you much later with the petrol pipe issue. Next year.

Thanks Richard & H.

I tried to clean up the battery posts with the solution of baking soda this afternoon. There was also condensation inside the bonnet just over the battery.

Does anyone with expert knowledge reckon this (the condensation) might be a sign of over charging?

Do you think Richard ought to get the charging system checked to see if it is adjusted correctly and working correctly??