Another rear light experiment

Having tried various LED replacement bulbs in the tail lamps of my '3 and found that none of them gave as good a light as the original bulbs,

I have just been playing with another alternative - Halogen.

The problem with the LED's was that none of them presented the light source in the right place.

On a SS car, the lamp covers have a moulded in circular lens which is directly behind the filaments of a standard stop/tail bulb (6/21W)

The halogen bulbs I have been playing with are 6/35W, so a fair bit brighter, unfortunately, as purchased they also put the fillament in the wrong place - too high.

Not to be beaten, I modified them by extending the metal part, using a section cut off an old (blown) stop/tail bulb.

This, when inserted, now places the fillaments in the correct place, with the following results:

The Halogen bulbs are on the left side, the central brake lamp is an LED type, showing white only for number plate,

& bright red for stop. The right hand side is normal bulb.

Bob.

Rod.

The only part which is actually on for any length of time is the tail lamp filament, which is only 1 watt higher than the standard 5W.

The stop /flasher filament is only on for a short time.

(unless of course you are in the habit of sitting in traffic with the foot brake on !) B)

Bob.

I don't thik a consumer 3D printer would do it Bill, the material is thermo plastic and would just melt again at bulb temperature.

Bob - where did you buy the halogen bulbs? I can't find them on a web search.