Engine block swap

Hi All,

Just recently sent my '74 CR series engine off to the reconditioners..

Hear from them that following the strip down they've found thrust washer area quite bad (which I knew about) but also the camshaft housing badly worn.. Which I didn't know!

They've offered an alternative block from an ME series engine, which from my research is. Triumph 2000 Mk2 engine..?

I know it's a different stroke.. Crankshaft i& camshaft will be different etc.. But that aside is it an ok swap?

I think the basic block is the same?

Is there anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance..

Richard

Swop from a CR to an ME engine and you'll probably depreciate the value of the car by the cost of the rebuild . . . . . pointless.

Find an engine shop that can do the necessary to your existing engine . . . .

Cheers

Alec

+1 and change shop, edit having said that a good shop would deck the block so number gone.

Edited by ntc

Neil,

As you know I had my block decked, they couldn't have skimmed anymore than .010" off and the engine number is still quite visible. Triumph must have used pretty hefty stamps back in the day.

Perhaps as said in previous posts, Richard should (if budget permits) have the block properly inspected my a reputable machine shop. I doubt the "camshaft housing" (whatever the eck' that is?) is worn beyond being line-bored and having bearings fitted! If it were it would have been noticeable.

Richard.

Edited by Richard71

Hi guys..

Thanks for the replies. My original preference was to keep the original block, but some months ago I was advised (on here) to ditch it because the thrust washer area was badly worn (thrust washers were lying in the sump for some time!)

I've been also offered a full engine from TR shop but that is also not a CR series block.. But even more money.. And I wonder what the likelihood is of finding a good CR one available?

The engine shop say they would skim the block anyway as part of the rebuild.. So the number may not be as obvious.. Or they can still save my existing one.. Repair the thrust washer area, plus line bore and fit bearings for the camshaft..

The choice is mine, just need to weigh it up..

Must admit I was expecting people to say go ahead with the replacement block for longevity..

Now I'm more confused!

Richard

Blocks are the same bar the stamped-on number. So technically it's not an issue. Politically maybe it is, though provided a proper record of the rebuild is kept, no sane reason for devaluation. Decking the block and re-stamping with the original number is possible though decking enough to remove the original number may mean needing to recut the gasket recesses around the bores to the correct depth as well.

It is probably possible to repair the original block, though having both rain main bearing damage and knacked cam bearing bores will mean significant expense. It is certainly possible to line bore the cam way and fit bearings (as used on Spitfire Mk3 so standard Triumph parts) but does require a competent machine shop with the right kit able to do the whole length in one pass, otherwise bad things can happen. If done right the result is better than standard. Rectification of damage to the rear main really depends on how bad the damage is.

Nick

Richard

I have a CR block complete with good bores, pistons and crank sat in my garage that I bought as a spare for my TR that I no longer own.

If you live anywhere near Malton in North Yorkshire you're quite welcome to come and inspect it and for £150 i t would be a hell of a saving on rebuilding/machining your old block

Graham

Hi guys,

Thanks for the further replies.. And Graham for the offer of a CR block.. If I were close enough I'd be interested in that, though I'm sure someone else will be!

As the rebuilders can do the necessary machining I think I'll go with that and preserve originality..

Cheers guys..

Richard

Richard

Line boring and bearings to restore the cam supports are a good solution. They also allow you to consider the installation of a higher lift cam and stronger valve springs if you ever wanted to in the future without any undue concern for long term wear of the cam bores in the block. It's worked for me in the past.

Thrust washer rebate can be machined back to a clean shape and Pinto thrust washers can be substituted. It works on my TR6 race engine.

Don't know where you are but I can recommend a suitable machine shop in the Humberside area if you want it.

Dave McD