Brisbane to Sydney 1000km in under 11 hours

Its been twelve months since I bought my 6 back after selling it 21 years earlier. In that time I've done everything that needed doing except replacing all the suspension bushes (which is the next job). It's done 210,000km now on the original engine, gearbox, overdrive and diff and today it proved what a great car it is as per the title. The Pacific highway is mostly dual carriageway now and a lot is 110km limit so for the most part it's a cruise, but there are still a couple of shortcuts on back country roads which add some spice to the trip.

I was totally impressed with how it burbled along, only hiccup was loss of tachometer at about 800km - suspect it just died from the extended workout. Oil pressure sat between 60-70psi, temp at between 1/4 and 1/2, just brilliant

From one happy triumph owner

Graze

The 11 hours is drive time excluding stops for fuel and to remove the kink in my back!

Edited by Graze

Hi Graze - snap.

Last week-end myself and 107 other TRiumph cars (TR's and saloons) did 2100 miles in 48Hrs.

For my part I was getting just under 40mpg, no breakages, no sleep,

My lad, the co-driver, enjoyed himself but I think he still prefers his modern.

These cars are great

Roger

Did the same trip as roger but only managed 28 hours and 1200 miles. Was in a stag and managed to discover that timing chains can and do stretch. Mind you they are about 6ft long in a stag V8!!!

Yes Roger I thought of your round the UK tour, by comparison mine was just a quick trip. Well done on completing the 2100 miles without incident.

Best I could do was 27mpg but happy with that, given I know its running a little rich - hopefully new throttle bodies will fix that

Graze

Graze. Your story is good to hear. Always interested to hear others have repurchased their cars. I bought mine back in Sept 13 after 20 years and spent the last year getting back to being a 'strong' car. Sent a pm.

Leaving CT's splendid RBRR to one side, some CT board members recently did the Midsummer, West to East run across England, "beating the Sun" during the shortest night.

Sunset at Lands End to Sunrise at Lowestoft. Through the night, obviously.

This run was done by Top Gear, and I had serious concerns that it just wasn't possible, that TG had faked it. I mean, how many camera operators can you station in advance of La Clarkson to show him driving through? No, you use one camera team, and do it in stages, taking far longer. BUt the CT teams did it, with execellnt planning of expected bottle necks and full knowledge of all the speed restrictions.

Ok, it's less than 500 miles, but another fun run, IMHO!

JOhn

I didn't get any photos on the way down John, but I'm leaving the car in Sydney for a few weeks so Mon and I can fly down and spend a few days in the blue mountains west of Sydney. Very pretty country so will get some photos then

Graze

Respect!

I recently was sorting out some old road maps, and found a tatty 'old' Esso map of France (two shillings) old!

Hand draw on it was my route in 1973 in my TR6 from Calais to Barcelona to watch the F1 Grand Prix. Returning home through Zargozza Spain and over the boarder to PAU to watch the F2 Grand Prix, then back home via Bordeaux and Rouen and up the Mulsanne straight back to Calais.

Not sure what the mileage was, but it was before either France or Spain had any Motorways, all on old traditional single lane Route Nationals going through every town and village... Makes my arms ache just thinking about it now!

Oh, the enthusiasum and energy of youth...where did it go? I have to muster all my reserves these days to drive further than the MOT garage these days. :blink:

Ah! Memories!

I have the AA "Tour Planning Map of Europe" with the route marked of the trip I made with fellow students in about 1970, from the UK to Greece and back. No, in a camper van, not a Routemaster! Out via Yugoslavia, as it was then, still almost medeival - we saw a dancing bear! - and back via the ferry to Italy. That was when motoring was still 'motoring', roads weren't mere strips of tarmac and driving was a real adventure.

Thanks for the flashback, Denis!

John

Graze,

Excellent trip - TRs are built for it.

In 2012 we covered 2,500 miles in two weeks driving in France in VUX - the longest trip in one day was a 9 hour, 500 mile drive from Minzac (Dordogne) to Bagnols-en-Forêt in the South of France, with a stop at Carcassonne and averaged 36 mpg at a steady 70 - 80 mpg in overdrive.

A week later we set off to Classic Le Mans and did another 650 miles without any problems.

On route to Arromanches - Castle of Vaussieux

181140_3646012824144_749521333_n.jpg?oh=

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Dunno how Andrew and Mrs Andrew do it.

For a trip like that Mrs LJ's stuff would fill several TR3 boots, and my clobber would fill the back seat bit.

Jimbo,

That about sums it up, same here.

The LHC got the boot and VUX's boot bag in 2012 (won't use one again as the strap wicks water into the boot! :( ) and I get what I can squeeze into the space behind the seats. In TuRK, it's the same but as there is more room behind the seats SWMBO gets some of that space too........ :rolleyes:

Cheers

Andrew

Dunno how Andrew and Mrs Andrew do it.

For a trip like that Mrs LJ's stuff would fill several TR3 boots, and my clobber would fill the back seat bit.

Neither do I, LJ.

For a trip like that, I regret that MrsA would not consent to her derriere adorning the passenger seat at all.