what can I do?

OK I have a 1974 TR6 that's modified.

Before I put the 8 point cage in and all the other bits what can I race in if anything with fellow TR owners? can I Rally? Or have I created something that has no place?

Brief list

3.9 Rover V8

LT77 box

F/G bonnet and Boot

Rear discs

Up rated front brakes

Plenty more little things.

Any advice would be great thanks.

post-8644-0-29930800-1412603286_thumb.jpg

Short answer, I don't think you can.

You need to review the RAC Bluebook to check what their legislation is for cars in motorsport without roll cages, the cars will more than likely be linked to a car age limit and also require fitment of an alloy block on top of the dashboard...for the driver to tap his pipe out on !

But more seriously why would you even consider wanting to do a competitive event WITHOUT a roll cage. I presume it's about to be fitted anyway along with full harness seat belts and a rear Alloy cockpit Firewall without which the governing authorities will not let you compete anyway ?

Don't short cut, fit the equipment, I would even drive my car my car without them on the roads, it's dangerous. If having considered that safety equipment is a stretch to far (like many TR owners currently do) well good luck to you and I hope past examples and experiences don't reconfirm what can happen.

Mick Richards

Mick, thanks for the input. I did not go into great detail about the car as I just wanted to know if could race. I have a safety devices rollbar, extinguisher 4 point belts and the car is scrutineered before sprinting. I would only need to upgrade to 8 point cage and external cut out and fire. I have a cockpit wall also. I use a Hans for ALL sprints even though I did not need to in France for St Goueno.

I would not consider the next stage with all the necessary equipment. I just wanted advice as to what if any series of races I could do with other TR owners, apologies if for not giving sufficient information but thanks for taking time out to reply. cheers Clive

Reading that, I understand that you mean is there a class that you can race in on the basis of the modifications you have already made (engine, brakes etc) before you go to the trouble and expense of fitting the roll cage for competition purposes.

Not able to help on that, but posted just to clarify my understanding was that you weren't suggesting not fitting a roll cage, but inquiring if your car is eligible or not for various racing classes based on current mods.

You could probably enter the CSCC Special Saloons and Modsports series but you would not be remotely competitive.

You may be able to enter tarmac rally events where original engine/gearbox is not a requirement. Any race series where you would be competitive would require you to change the engine and gearbox back to original fitment.

Mike Hughes

Modsports see: http://www.classicsportscarclub.co.uk/?q=Special%20Saloons%20and%20Modsports

Driver rep's email for enquiry on that page, with full regs.

If you fancy some euroracing, look at the FISC series: http://www.fisc-eurotour.org/home-2/

I've raced with them against overwhelming TR8s and very fast little Spridgets and still enjoyed it.

How else will you race at places like Zandvoort and Monza?

JOhn

How about the TR sprint and hillclimb championship?

At the moment the regs would dictate a Triumph engine, but maybe the organisers could be requested to consider an 'unlimited' class where anything goes as long as there is something recognisably Triumph about it.

I'm in a similar situation with a Vincent Hurricane which has a Spitfire chassis with a Mazda engine & box, and I know of another Hurricane with a V8.

Jerry

Bernie's series (who he?) also wants manufacturer's engine, but does mention an 'Invitation' class.

At one time I fell foul of the CSCC's Future Classics rule that said 'original engine' when the Vitese had a 2.5 Triumph-6. They had good reason in terms of fair competition and cost, because someone in a Ford had turned up with a full-race Cosworth DFV, so all they could offer me was "Invitation" class. That meant I could never race if enough non-invitation entrants turned up. So watch out for that clause.

So while I built a 2 litre version, I went and raced with the RAF! They are happy, indeed keen, to include civilian drivers, and sometimes arrange sprints etc on tarmac you would never otherwise get onto! See: http://rafmotorsports.proboards.com/ You may have to register to see the board.

John

John - I have no idea who he is but we had a chat, he seems to be a really ok bloke who just wants older cars modified or not to race and have fun whilst entertaining others, tall order for me :)

There are some great comments one being "no moaners" did make me chuckle!

Sent him a full spec list so will see what comes back.

The Palace picture when was that 2013?

Cheers

Clive

PS just ordered 8 point cage so I will be doing something somewhere next year! I hope :)

Edited by 8391TR

Clive

Bernie is Bernie Chodosh who races, or certainly has raced in the past, one of two Chevrolet Corvettes that he has. I think one is 1958 and one is 1959 or 59 & 60.

He raced for some time with the CSCC in the Swinging 60s series.

Using the CSCC as a conduit for entries at race meetings he has organised race trips to Sebring and his limited series, specifically for V8s, in the UK though I haven't been aware of his series running this year.

His races have attracted a wide range of cars including the V8 versions of the usual range of USA muscle cars, MGBs, Aston Martins, TVRs, Sunbeam Tigers, etc, though I think these have all been cars which had the V8 fitted as the original manufacturers engine so not sure about eligibility of your car.

Dave McD

Dave McD

Useful thank you, I was lead to believe there was a series in the UK this year but like you I was not aware. We have spoken to him and your comments re the types of car are what he said. I have emailed him car details for his perusal. He did say that all he likes is competitive racing and if somebody keeps lapping everybody else they may not get invited again! Thanks for your reply Dave.

Sounds like an interesting car. Did the car come like this or did you drop the RV8 in it? You can get very good power >230bhp from a TR6 engine (a lot less torque though), but very expensive compared to a Rover.

What poke does the Rover make and is the LT box 4 or 5 speed?

Bernie definitely sounds like your man.

jellison - We have built it up over about 7 years. Initially a bog standard V8 which gave a terrible 140bhp!! All sorts of problems most of which were sorted by Tom and Mark Adams with help from Paul at Austec . we eventually came away with 190 bhp.

Since then we have another engine and a 5 speed lt77 LSD from racetorations headers and bespoke exhaust from Hayward and scott the headers coated. Inlet manifold machined for no bulge. step over pulleys to keep quick rack in the same place. large ally rad, oil cooler up rated rear springs 500lb spax shockers up rated drive shafts from racetorations lotus carbon seats cosworth front discs and brembo calipers magnesium wheels rear disc convertion servo assisted brake bias (not happy with) plus many other upgrades. 8 point safety devices cage just ordered plus auto fire extinguisher.

But to answer your question lol........ 235 bhp and 265 lbs feet torque. 5 speed LT77.

I have purchased a re built T5 box from dave chant snr Tuscan challenge man which I am going to fit this winter.

PS What front brakes do you run?

cheers

Clive

Hi Clive.

Those are not too bad numbers for a cooking 3.9 RV8. I've had a few 5.0 ones in TVRs. Then make way less than TVR claimed but great torque. The bigger the RV8 the less it want to rev as all the capacity increase is in longer stroke. I gave up in the end and put an LS6 (405bhp) and TKO in my Old Chim (never came across anything faster....) :).

My TR6 brakes are custom ones from BG racing. 315mm Solids discs (think a turned down larger size to just get in a 15j wheel), and all custom brackets to mount to TR6 Hub and Comp wheels, with AP racing Caliper. I have a (I think) Revington balance bar setup that bolts on the end of the servo.

Jelly

The second engine came out of a Chimera, I bought it off a mad welsh man who had just had it rebuilt ubder an insurance claim! I put the old TR V8 engine back in it and sold it, its still going now! I spoke to the engine builders and there was no expense spared apparently and it was still under warranty. I also have a griff 500 which at the griff growl gave 300 bhp and I believe some 360 torques will have to find the print out. Noted the AP calipers and think its the way to go.

Cheers

Clive

Guy who bought the Chim must have been chuffed! My 500 lump went to a guy with a 400 Chim. Only had 22k miles on it but when the cam went on it, it pushed me over the edge and did the daft LS conversion. First one to do it, but fairly common mod now.

If bored you might like http://www.freewebs.com/faster-tvr/ seems so long ago now. Did it early 2005 and sold 4 1/2 years later.

The RV8 presumably weighs a lot less than the TR 6 pot and most of it further back in the chassis, so it probably handles better than a std TR6, maybe less understeer (one of my things to try to improve over the winter).

If bored you might like http://www.freewebs.com/faster-tvr/ seems so long ago now. Did it early 2005 and sold 4 1/2 years later.

What a cool website Jon! Didn't know it was yours just until the last photo scrolled up with your face :-)