First drive"..........

Took the new toy out tonight for a spin to my local club, had a really nice drive but

Where on earth is the headlight main beam switch?

And

Are the instrument lights always dim?, the rheostat works but even on the brightest setting I can barely see them

Thanks

Gary

Hi, Gary, yes -they should self cancel. You may find that the section of steering column that contains the self-cancelling gizmo (a clip that has a ridge in the centre, that simply fits over the column) is mis-aligned, and needs to be correctly located in the fore and aft plane.

Let us know what you find.

Austin

Ideally you would re-bush the steering column I guess but I found that jamming a small lump of foam rubber left over from the window seals on the ridge side inside the steel cuff moves the bracket out just enough so that the ridge makes contact with the switches inside the indicator stalk assembly and now the indicators self cancel again... Although the mechanism isn't as sensitive as modern cars and I don't imagine was ever very good so you really need to turn the wheel quite a bit from one point t 'other to activate the self cancel switch, which doesn't help when you can barely see the indicator green light at the best of times in the sunshine and the relay is right over in the passenger footwell and with the roof down isn't very loud. Basically I spend quite a bit of time driving round with the indicators flashing which is embarrassing and a little dangerous..

Basically I spend quite a bit of time driving round with the indicators flashing which is embarrassing and a little dangerous..

Yep + 1

I wonder if I can get a brighter green light or a sounder?

kc

Hi Gary,

Yes my car's did not self cancel either. was a simple case of re-aligning the pawl-clip on the column to be at the 3 o'clock position when straight ahead (so its sit between the two fingers from the indicator cancel mechanism.)

I have to say in my view it works very well. Probably only have to turn the wheel approx 60 Deg either way for it to then cancel the indicator on the return motion.

p.s. I did not move the pawl-clip on the column shaft as it seemed to have a fitting going into a hole. I just removed the clamp of the steering shaft off of the rack. moved the column round to put the pawl-clip in the right place, then removed the steering wheel (with pullers) and replaced it so it was correct for 'straight ahead' and all has worked fine ever since.

Hope this helps,

J.

In regard to the flasher unit, which is hard to be heard and on my it is sometimes difficult to see the green light flashing.

In a recent Rover mag, there was an article about fitting a 12 v buzzer Ref FL 40T from Maplin to make the flasher lounder. I'm thinking off trying it out on my TR.

Edited by Dave Smith

Or try this, they work brilliantly and are made by a fellow member

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/41523-flashing-indicator-bleeper-things/

Hi Gary,

you thought buying a car was fraught with danger - you have one now :o

The dip switch, although old fashioned, works well and easy to sort if there is a problem.

The indicator self cancel system works well when working. If you do any work on the steering column you must ensure that the internal shaft goes back to the same place.

If you remove the indicator switch (easy on a 4A don't know about a 6) you will be able to see the little clip that actuates the switch arms. If it looks as if it is sitting nicely but at the wrong angle/position then the shaft will need re-aligning.

The gauges are not bright at the best of times. The normal filament bulb is feeble and I have not found the LED's any better (in fact usually worse).

You can remove the rheostat and short out the wires, this may give a slight improvement.

There must be an answer out there :huh: Halogen bulbs !!!

Roger