alloy wheels

i was looking through my tr5 parts manual (original stanparts). it states that the 8 spoke cast aluminium wheels - special order - were 6". is this the standard fit - this seems so much bigger than the original wheel size ? do they rub ? am thinking of a set of minilites but want to be eligible for regularity rallies (eg le job, classic malts). i have done some searching but cant quite land the answer.

snowy

Hi Snowy,

This guy makes and sells 6" wheels specifically for TRs.(No conection with me).

http://gc360enterprises.com/index.php

No problems that I am aware of and I will be fitting a set to my TR250.

Cheers

Graeme

The wheels that Graeme suggests are of the 'Cooper' pattern and not Minilite's.

Tom.

Hi Tom,

I am not sure what Cooper pattern refers to?

These wheels (in the link above) are replicas of 'American Racing Equipment' (ARE) used by Kastner on the 'Shell 4000' TR4 rally cars in 1964. The wheel was consequently offered as an option on the TR4/4A/250 in North America but not sure if this is the wheel offered on the TR5 as noted by Snowy.

Cheers

Graeme

HI Graeme

These ARE repro's are the best I have seen and as you state they very closely follow the original "Silverstone" 8 spoke pattern ARE wheel. Evidently now in aluminium whereas the vast majority in their day were magnesium, although alloy could be bought too.

These are really nice wheels and different to a Minilite or replica. However in my opinion fitting 6" wide wheels to a TR4, 4a and 5 bodyshape give the impression that the wheels are too wide, sticking out in other words. Now a TR6 can get away with 6" wheels.

If I was going down the alloy wheel route on a TR5 then it would have to be the 5 1/2" variety, an ideal compromise.

Alan

Very nice but at what price.Can't find out on the site.

Roy,

I sent them an email and got a prompt reply $820 Aus for 4 wheels plus post +3mm offset for 6" wheels

Graze

• 1 month later...

Hi Snowy,

This guy makes and sells 6" wheels specifically for TRs.(No conection with me).

http://gc360enterprises.com/index.php

No problems that I am aware of and I will be fitting a set to my TR250.

Cheers

Graeme

Hi Graham, I wished I'd seen this before id bought my new wheels, I was looking at minilites (I know these are not minilites) and like these wheels, Karl has them on his TR4 race car in magnesium, but those are old wheels from the period.

Any how went with Revolution 5 Spokes in the end as I didn't like the minilites available enough! ;)

Phil

Hi Graham, I wished I'd seen this before id bought my new wheels, I was looking at minilites (I know these are not minilites) and like these wheels, Karl has them on his TR4 race car in magnesium, but those are old wheels from the period.

Any how went with Revolution 5 Spokes in the end as I didn't like the minilites available enough! ;)

Phil

Hi Phil,

I like the Revos you have fitted. However, I intend to fit the ARE replica wheels to my TR250 when the time comes.

Cheers

Graeme