Works TR4 paint colour

What is the actual colour name of the paint on the works TR4's? Was it known as 'powder blue'? Or is there an official designation

Graze

From 58 thru 63 it is "Powder blue" and from 63 thru 65 it is "Wedgewood blue". I believe that Powder blue has never been an original color for TR4 but rather Wedgewood blue. Powder blue was for TR3.

TR4colorchart_zps82ad44ab.jpg

Edited by Geko

Each brand has its own designation but nowadays you just need to provide a color sample which the paintshop will scan and the mixer will do the job. A good picture should even do the trick, that's what I did for my 4A - wanted Powder blue- and you can see the result below.

Edited by Geko

Hi Graze,

if you use the search facility you'll find a number of past discussions on Forum re powder blue codes.

Google will find lots of references to Triumph powder blue paint code . . . .

There is a convincing argument that the world doesn't actually need any more powder blue TRs.

It's one of those shades that turns a reasonably decent machine into what Top Gear would call a **** Car.

Agreed, Wedgwood Blue might be even a tad worse.

Cheers

Alec

Thanks Stef that chart is brilliant

Graze

You might want to look here for the paint code per brand. Powder blue was indeed one of the colors for early TR4 thru 1963

http://spitlist.info/Paint.html

http://www.trregisterfrance.com/meca/paint.htm

Edited by Geko

The four Works' TR4 Rally cars were Powder Blue. According to Bill's 'bible', this colour was available only up to CT20916 in March 1963.

Wedgewood Blue is somewhat darker.

Would I call either Tony Sheach's 'Beastie' or Karl Wetherell's very rapid racing TR4 a **** Car? No, I would not! But I don't watch Top Gear, so I wouldn't know what is a **** Car.

Ian Cornish

You

The four Works' TR4 Rally cars were Powder Blue. According to Bill's 'bible', this colour was available only up to CT20916 in March 1963.

Wedgewood Blue is somewhat darker.

Would I call either Tony Sheach's 'Beastie' or Karl Wetherell's very rapid racing TR4 a **** Car? No, I would not! But I don't watch Top Gear, so I wouldn't know what is a **** Car.

Ian Cornish

Ian you should watch it, it does broaden the mind. You can then turn it OFF and really know what your missing!

Its apt that colours can even attract nicknames, mine will be

Re-sale Red, for most of the red cars sold before the Jammy Damson ones (despite the attempts to say it was a grand colour) it was **** wasn't it?

Overtaken only by the Brown sixes, their nickname I couldn't possibly repeat here, but only 4 words were used.

Yellow, fantastic on a 4, not on the German one.

Finally powder blue, again fantastic on sidescreens, but should have been exclusive to Factory Racing TR4 cars, and not on standard ones as they are tending to blend into

a group of is it or isn't it games today.

Still awaiting those stories from the "Works" cars on how the owners came by them, it will be a good read for its over 3 years now since I suggested the article be produced, the editing must be taking some time.

I think the TR4 was powered blue and it went to Wedgewood Blue for the TR4A.

Paint chips and charts here: http://tr4a.weebly.com/triumph-tr4a-body-paint-colours.html

I like white:-))

My view was for ever coloured by the gobsmacked reaction of TRing uncles to the 1962 cars . . . . as an 11 year old one took note of uncles' reactions.

Uncle Tug's vehement "bloody hell, Nancy Boy Blue" was reinforced by Uncle Ken's "don't bend over when chaps in cars that colour are around, and keep your shirt tucked well in".

Remarks which required a further explanation at the time, 11 year olds were not as worldly wise then as now.

Uncle Jim perhaps summed up the view best . . . . "it's a TR not being sure if it wants to be an MG or a Sunbeam .. . ."

Cheers

Alec