Hi All,

My bottle of Argoshield, has run out, its a size Y from BOC.

Think thats lasted me about four years on occasional use on my Trs, mainly resto on the Tr3, and mates motors.

Going to have to get it refilled, did a search to find out cost, could not find anything conclusive. 35---87 squid.

But did find that some car clubs have negotiated discounts from BOC for their members.

Now many of us use this stuff, has the Trr negotiated a discount for its members??

Would seem to me to be a nice benefit.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Getting gas from BOC is expensive because of the annual fee plus the cost of gas,I have used Adams gas supplies as you only have to leave a deposit on the bottle and pay for gas,one bottle can last ages and you can get smaller ones if you wish,just a thought..

Barry.

Getting gas from BOC is expensive because of the annual fee plus the cost of gas,I have used Adams gas supplies as you only have to leave a deposit on the bottle and pay for gas,one bottle can last ages and you can get smaller ones if you wish,just a thought..

Barry.

Hi Barry,

Living on a "Rock" in the English channel I have no other option, stuck with BOC.

Cheers

Guy

The Volkswagen Club got a special deal several years ago.

See: http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?t=591078

Great idea if BOC will accpet another one, but when even Volkszone didn't get another I doubt it.

I presume BOC got their sums wrong, made a loss and now stick to their usual ways.

Can you not bring your bottle down to a Fabrication Shop that you might know and ask them for an Exchange,then all you do is hand them the price of the Refill 55squid,that's what I do.

I have bottles 20yr and never paid rental on any of them.

Please don't tell on me.

Hi Niall,

We wont discus your bottle.

The way I understand it the bottle remains the property of BOC. I am reasonably certain they can identify every bottle from either the barcode on the ring around the top, not looked for a bottle number.

If I cancel or fail to renew my rental they will demand the bottle back.

So they have got me, its 8 or 9 a month rental if you break it down,so not so bad really.

Cheers

Guy

BOC are an unhelpful, expensive, and intransigent company, because they have a monopoly, so I get my 3' high bottle filled for a tenner at another blokes place who needs a tenner. and they don't care who's bottle it is.

Nials on the money.

Years back you bought the bottle and just paid for refills.

Then came "Pressure Systems Regulations". This imposes rules about pressure testing and recertification.

So the annual charge got raised so as to "cover" this.

It more than "covers" of course.

The cost of gas is the main reason I don't have a TIG system to play with.

I can MIG with a really tiny gas flow and you don't run for long anyway.

And don't forget the PED also the European norm I understand which takes priority over the PSR

Hi Guys, I use pub gas with my MIG, my local friendly landlord gets me a largeish bottle for just £15 so can up the flow a bit more to ensure it works.

Nigel

Hi, Guy,

Don't know if this company are any good, but I see that Hobbyweld have a distributor in Jersey - Tools Plus Limited, email is toolsplus@jerseymail.co.uk.

I understand they supply Argon mixtures, but in cylinders with no rental charge.

Good luck,

John

Hi, Guy,

Don't know if this company are any good, but I see that Hobbyweld have a distributor in Jersey - Tools Plus Limited, email is toolsplus@jerseymail.co.uk.

I understand they supply Argon mixtures, but in cylinders with no rental charge.

Good luck,

John

Slight drawback with that system is you have to buy the first bottle and the regulator is peculiar to those bottles so you have to buy that as well. Also their bottles are a lot smaller than the "Y" size most of us use.

Pub gas (CO2) doesnt give very clean welds and isnt good for structural stuff.

Stuart.