Wintertime TR6 - Hardtop or Soft Top ?

TR6 currently has soft top fitted but spouse insists on the its matching hardtop going on for the winter.

I have conceded (so far) but would much welcome views from TR6 owners who own both "options" as to whether to put the hardtop on until the warmer spring sunshine comes out or whether to stay (and be brave) with the soft top.

She (SWMBO) dislikes draughts, getting wet, cold and anything that resembles "fuss" if you see what I mean. I am very much a "quite life" person. :)

Opinions appreciated.

Alex B

Unless it's a winter daily driver I would leave it off. I find the soft top fine for the odd time it needs to go up.There are plenty of opportunities for roof down use during the winter if your keen enough. It's a bit of a faff to remove once on and you change your mind because the weathers ok. I had one ,personally not keen on the goldfish bowl feeling with the large rear window or the amplification of all the noises inside when on. They look ok though but not for me for what I want the car for . Each to their own though

Chris

I also sold my hardtop. I used it the first winter I had the car and it just turned it into a rattly old saloon !

Get a silly hat and gloves and enjoy the fantastic exhaust noise ................. seriously I now enjoy driving it more on a sunny winters day than in the summer + the TR loves the cold air as it goes like stink in the winter !

IMHO the soft top provides as good weather protection as the hardtop, but I just like the looks of the hardtop, and winter provides an excuse to use it. If the weather is warm or hot, the hardtop can be miserable. For hot weather distance driving, the soft top with the rear window un-zipped is the most comfortable.

Berry

Berry is bang on the money. Hard tops look great and its a shame you don't see more 6s with them on especially over winter so I vote for fitting it they also noticeably stiffen the car up. I am guilty for not fitting mine this time round but car is not used much during winter...

DSCF0832_zps2681df3a.jpg

Edited by stephen cooper

Thanks Stephen. I acquired my hardtop about a year ago. I have always admired the lines and even though I wasn't in the market for one, I couldn't resist an ad for one that was painted the correct color and reasonably priced ($700). When not in use, it is suspended from the ceiling of the shop to conserve floor space.

Berry

post-10575-0-10087200-1388446312_thumb.jpg

post-10575-0-10087200-1388446312_thumb.jpg

Edited by dingle

I bought a hardtop for my TR6 (VUX) and liked the look, and yes it did stiffen up the car. However, and whilst a 'nice to have' it just took up too much room and was a phaff to get on and off so I didn't use and sold it a few years later - didn't I Tom.

I think a contrasting colour looks good as it breaks it up a bit, particularly the light colours - anyway, the new owner of VUX is planning to fit a Surrey Top, so that will be interesting to see.

206935_1706606220191_1490074_n.jpg

Cheers and HNY

Andrew