Aluminium Radiator

I need a new rad on my TR3A as it is weeping .I am thinking of having an aluminium radiator fitted .Has anyone any experience.Aluminium is substantially more expensive than a straight replacement but presumably a lot lighter and more efficient. Comments appreciated.

Tom

I purchased a stripped down TR2 and was concerned with the prospect of overheating once I had rebuilt the car and put it on the road here where temp gets over 35 deg c. (only use the soft top as a sun shade)

Chinese aluminium radiator including freight was half the cost of repair/recore of original. I fitted an electric fan from a Mitsubishi with a thermostat switch in the water tube ex moss.

One of the TR Register members here did some research and recommended a thermostat made by Tridon. Result is very happy with set up and and fan only comes into action when stuck in traffic, on a long steep hillclimb or at the end of a spirited run when engine switched off. Gauge sits just below 185 deg F mark (2mm) when cruising with no fan running and moves no more than just past the 185 deg F mark (4mm) when fan is running. I checked accuracy of temp gauge before installation.

Not original but very practical in hot climate.

I purchased a stripped down TR2 and was concerned with the prospect of overheating once I had rebuilt the car and put it on the road here where temp gets over 35 deg c. (only use the soft top as a sun shade)

Chinese aluminium radiator including freight was half the cost of repair/recore of original. I fitted an electric fan from a Mitsubishi with a thermostat switch in the water tube ex moss.

One of the TR Register members here did some research and recommended a thermostat made by Tridon. Result is very happy with set up and and fan only comes into action when stuck in traffic, on a long steep hillclimb or at the end of a spirited run when engine switched off. Gauge sits just below 185 deg F mark (2mm) when cruising with no fan running and moves no more than just past the 185 deg F mark (4mm) when fan is running. I checked accuracy of temp gauge before installation.

Not original but very practical in hot climate.

Which Chinese aluminium radiator maker did it come from? There are two as far as I can see on ebay.

Is the filler cap the same size and pressure as an original or is it the small size as fitted to most 'rice burners' and 1 bar pressure?

Cheers

Peter W

Amazed to hear that an alloy rad costs more than a conventional one, and for an older car than mine too!

A new copy rad in brass for a Triumph Herald/Vitesse costs £230, and it's not as well built as the OE.

I have an aluminium alloy rad on my Vitesse that was bult for a Honda Civic, and cost £80. Needed a bit of adaptation of the water path, in this case a fabricated thermostat cover, and brcakets on the side but works fine.

John