Preferred engine oil

Ok as a newby this might be forum incompetence but I tried to search "oil" but it wouldn't let me

So can I ask what rated oil is preferred for the PI TR6

I suspect the 5W30 I use in he Audis is not the right stuff

Graze

Graze

As with many of the 'older' cars, good old multigrade 20-50 is the preferred choice... Millers seems to have a good following, though Halfrauds recently had a very good offer of their own branded stuff.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Peter, interesting read, so something like a 20w50 with 0.11% zinc

I'll go looking at what's available in Aus

Graze

Halfords Classic 20/50 is (according to people in the know :blink: ) made by Comma and has a remarkable appearance to the old Duckhams.

Certainly works well in the 4A.

Roger

PS - just noticed you are in Oz. Are Halfords in Oz.

Edited by RogerH

Forum search won't accept a word of less than 4 letters . . . .

Any halfway decent 20W/50 oil will do the job, there's nothing special about the lubrication requirements of Triumph engines. So-called 'classic' oils can be an expensive option, a hefty premium price for fancy packaging and marketing. There are plenty of budget priced 20W/50 brands usually listed as "for older and high mileage engines" or somesuch - half the price, or less, and they'll do a good enough job.

Bear in mind that the PI engine tends to suffer from fuel diluting the oil, and that happens regardless of the type of oil you're using. Personally I'd much prefer to change budget oil and filter annually, regardless of mileage, than to use expensive classic ripofflube and leave it in for a couple or three years.

If you can find it locally, Silkolene Silkolube 20W-50 is, in my experience, as good a compromise between cost and quality as you could wish for - in the UK it costs around £15/5l if you shop carefully - for example https://shop.fluidsinmotorsport.co.uk/product/silkolube_20w50_5l/

Cheers

Alec

HPR30 (20w/60) by Penrite is ideal for a 2500 in hotter climates - it has all the zinc and maintains good viscosity even in competition. I use it in my cars over here in Perth - they have a huge range and excellent website.

HPR 30 SAE 20W-60

Pack Sizes: 1 Litre, 5 Litre, 20 Litre, 60 Litre, 205 Litre

HPR 30 is an SAE 20W-60, premium mineral oil formulated for use in conventional and turbocharged engines operating under a high load environment. Contains high zinc levels. It provides better oil pressure and consumption control and can be used where SAE 20W-50 oils were originally recommended. Not recommended for four stroke motorcycles with wet clutches.

Key Specifications: API SM/CF, ACEA A3/B3, Ford M2C153-E , VW 502.00/505.00

HPR30 (20w/60) by Penrite is ideal for a 2500 in hotter climates - it has all the zinc and maintains good viscosity even in competition. I use it in my cars over here in Perth - they have a huge range and excellent website.

Seconded.

Tony

Forum search won't accept a word of less than 4 letters . . .

There is a way round that problem ..

Open Google. Click down the bottom right on "settings", selected "advanced search".

Now put your three letter words into the search window and in the "site or domain" box put "http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/"

Press search, and bingo.

This tip was stickied here a while back, so not my doing, but it was easy to retype than search for the thread!

Steve, Too much pressure is often the PRV spring being (unnecessarily) uprated or spaced out with washers to give more pressure - no need - I run a nice old worn original - I get 90psi cold and 55-60 hot - 20psi at idle when the oil is 110-120deg - pressure at idle is 30-35 when the oil is "normal temp" ie 75-85deg.

20W-60 is really for Australian cars in summer - I use 15/50 in winter. We have ambient temps well in the 30's and too much pressure when hot is rare in summer.