Good Morning all,

Has anyone any experience or ideas on the following please.

I have had a bit of vibration in the car for a while,but recently had to replace a diff.mount pin and re enforce another.while we were doing that ,i had new u/j`s in the drive shafts and greased the splines....the vibration was there,so replaced the propshaft with a rebuilt one....still have the vibration...

It mainly appears during low gear acceleration,and definitely on de-acceleration from 60/70 mph..

I have made sure the exhaust isnt coming into contact with the chassis.

Cheers,

Conrad.

A basic Conrad,

does the vibration disappear if you put the car into neutral from speed, and is it, through the steering wheel or through the seat of your pants, (Put your hand on the tunnel)

John.

Hi john and littlejim, thanks for the replies......wheels have been recently balanced,they are wires,it took them three goes and still not perfect.....the bearings are fine too...

I have tried the trick of putting into neutral and there is some through the steering wheel,but mainly through the seat of my pants,when accelerating quite hard and decelerating from 70`ish....so mainly through the backside whilst driving.....it doesnt feel if anything is badly wrong....just an annoying vibration !

I have just taken a tr5 friend out in it....he says nothing too bad but intimated the wheels(wires)

Thanks,

Conrad.

O.K. Conrad

if you say mostly through the seat even in neutral you are looking probobly at rear wheels, (Or you would struggle to hold on the the steering wheel)

So as you have wires, look at each rear assembly, has either got way too much balance weights on, say 40/50 grams maximum- often tyre fitters will fit a troublesome wheel on the back to 'Hide' a problem, also spin each rear in the air, and look for excessive lift or run out.

Any probs and next step is to swop with the spare, just to see if the problem goes away or even simply changes.

John.

Thanks john....i will do a bit of trial and error with the rear wheels....I will let you know the out come...

Cheers,

Conrad,

alloy housing can crack / fracture and would be noticable when you say.You say you have had mount strenghening done aswell, this could of put stress on a weakened area of the housing. Hope that makes sense.

Patch

Conrad, I don't think anyone has yet mentioned the front diff mounting, mine cracked right through but whilst in place it was not noticeable to the eye. Replacement cured the symptoms that you describe.

Good luck

Allan

Hi Alan,i have very recently replaced the front offside diff mount,it was cracked right through too....also welded re-enforcement on the rear near side....the others were in good nick.( it was interesting work !)

Its now that the vibration is noticeable.

Thanks,

Conrad.

Is it possible to check tailshaft balance.

Now out of my area of knowledge.

I put marks on mine so it went back as it was before dismantling.

Did notice somthing on it that made me think it had been dynamically balanced by somebody at the start.

Edited by littlejim

Hi Conrad, I may not have described the part correctly - Rimmers describe it as the "Plate assembly (axle mounting)" part number 211793 or item 13 on their exploded view. It is a pressed steel plate and Rimmers say it is one of the weakest parts of the TR6 as proved to be the case on mine a couple of years back.

Cheers

Allan

Must be a clue, that your vibration started after some work.

Did you replace the propshaft in the same place, always a good idea to punchmark adjacent flanges before you dismantle, if you didn't replace having turned through 180*

John.

Hi all, Thanks for the thoughtfull advice...

Alan ..i will check that plate too,although i cleaned the diff.down totally and didnt notice anything untoward....will check it though.

John..Yes i am thinking the same,the vibration was there before,but not as noticeable...maybe because all is smooth at the back end now ??

As for the propshaft replacement,it was only when replacing it that i realised i didnt mark it,it can only go in one of two positions as the bolt holes are offset.

So when it stops raining,i will try a few of these points out.

Thankyou,

Conrad.

Good Afternoon, well the sun is out and i am not working ! so i have put on a fresh set of powder coated wires with new michelins on....this has firmed up things alot and the steering is firmer...well as good as you get with wires !

Peter and i have been out in it again,he says nothing too drastic to worry about,,,but there is a noticeable vibration,when accelerating in second gear,and decelerating from 60/70 mph.

It appears in sort of wave and then goes smooth again....less noticeable in overdrive.....

Peter reckons i am being picky,but its there......will change engine mounts and see if that helps things..........thanks for all the advice..

Conrad.