Spare wheel cover - Anyone got any bright ideas or improvements?

Hi All

Been tidying my boot and the spare wheel cover really annoys me. It has always fitted poorly and having looked at the Rimmer catalogue (item 815662) am more confused than ever as it is pictured upside down to my way of thinking? Am I simply missing something, surely the u shaped gulleys are just to try to raise it for larger wheels? Its such a heath robinson heavy thing anyway I feel sure I can improve on it myself, as it looks home made anyway (or at least mine does, its just MDF in the middle). Has anyone else had a go and have you any pictures of what you came up with?

Thanks in advance as always,

Tim

If yours is MDF then it is home made. Having said that I made my own from MDF and it fits pretty well but I have a 4A and it's slightly, not much, different.

I have a home made one, two wooden rails that sit along the edges of the boot floor and then some simple thin wooden slats to bridge the gap. No pictures as I am at work and not much chance of some any time soon as I am snowed under building a conservatory :wacko:

Edited by PJM

1/2" ply and 2 bits of 2" X 1" and some black paint will do it.and make it strong enough to throw heavy things in the boot. ;)

Stuart.

Mine didnt have the proper cover when I bought it in 06.

I did look at buying one,but after looking at one or 2 at silly prices I couldnt really see the point!

So, as its not seen,and my wheels are std with 165's,ive stuck with what the previous owner fitted!

Nice and simple,does the job,easy to use,and as it rests on the spare,quite robust!

Photo0691.jpg

Photo0692.jpg

Photo0694.jpg

Photo0693.jpg

• 2 years later...

Coming late to this topic but also not happy with the daft way in which the cover steps up to fit over the wheel. Ironically I have alloys on the road but retain the steel wheel as a spare (and a set of wheel nuts as they're different). So I wondered if there is a "space saver" alternative as fitted to most modern cars today (mine included) that would have the same wheel centre and stud pitch and be significantly narrower and therefore fit inside the storage space within the boot and allow a flat cover. Something like this but the right wheel fixings. Any thoughts guys?

I've resorted to a can of gunk and an automobile association membership if the gunk is not adequate due to split sidewall or similar. Haven't had to use either yet.

This allows a flat 12mm ply cover to the tyre well in the boot with more storage space for weekends away

Graze

Edited by Graze