TR4A - HS6 carbs, familiar story!

Hello All

Was having flooding issues with the front carb so have:

Fitted new Grose jets, floats, gaskets to both carbs and replaced the rubber fuel pipes to each carb

Great, no more flooding issues and car running well.......until today......front carb spewing out petrol from the bleed hole.....slackened off float chamber lid to release excess fuel and started car.....no flooding!

I fear the problem will return

Is it possible this could be a petrol pump issue somehow or is it still likely to be an issue with the front carb ?

Any help would be appreciated as I've run out of ideas!

Thank you, Nick

Check your rubber fuel pipes for degredation as it only takes a small bit of debris to do this.Also check your filters (if fitted) and the state of the inside of the fuel tank.

Stuart.

What kind of petrol pump? Old, NOS, refab? Some poor refabs push out too much pressure, around 7 psi. So do electric ones: the smallest "cubic" Facet unit pushes 7 psi, other push more are they are meant for mechanical carbs. Pressure regulator set at 3-4 psi can be the solution.

Crud and debris are also great suspects. Grose valves don't stick, usually.

Badfrog

Hi Nick,

I had similar issues with the rear of my carbs (HS6 TR4A).

Having eliminated dirt etc I then went the other way and increased the gap in the float mechanism so that there should have been less fuel in the bowl. This did the trick.

I can only assume that the extra force on the float (slightly more submerged) sealed the grose jet better.

There is no logic to what I did, only desperation but it worked.

Roger

the smallest facet pushes 7psi

I hope you're wrong

I had the road unit at 2.5 to 3, the fast road at 4 to 5.5, and the competion unit at 6 to 7psi

Are you saying that the road unit actually does 7psi, contrary to the 2.5 to 3 stated

I'm halfway through the install and if thats the case I now need to buy a regulator as well, I'm trying to reduce the number of components, not add to them!

Stuart,

Your figures are right, but they're catalogue figures. I have found reality to be quite different. And yes, you need a regulator with an electric pump.

In a nutshell, forget Facet, get a Huco pump: http://www.gowerlee.dircon.co.uk/HUCO.html

Did that. Happy camper.

Badfrog

Hi Nick,

I had similar issues with the rear of my carbs (HS6 TR4A).

Having eliminated dirt etc I then went the other way and increased the gap in the float mechanism so that there should have been less fuel in the bowl. This did the trick.

I can only assume that the extra force on the float (slightly more submerged) sealed the grose jet better.

There is no logic to what I did, only desperation but it worked.

Roger

Had this problem with mine (actually H6s with standard needle valves set as per spec) and in desperation, did the same as Roger - so far, so good, after several thousand miles.

Edited by BrianC

Just to update the question of fuel pressure above

I have fitted a Facet interrupter style pump (I initially bought a cube type but ended up putting it in the bin - I may have bought a HUCO but didn't have the patience to wait 48 hrs!!)rated at 4.0 to 4.5 psi. After the above advice I fitted a regulator from the outset, turned right down to 0.5psi and still works ok - no leaks, flooding, starvation etc. One day Ill get an accurate gauge and get a proper pressure reading.

PS - what type of jets have the black rubberised tips because they are useless!!

I bought some rebuilt HS6's that had them fitted, just by blowing through the chamber lids by mouth and working the float with my finger I could tell they were not going to perform properly,changed them for my originals and no issues.

Edited by stuartmac