TR3 engine bay photos

Hi all,

Hopefully my tr3 will be coming back from the paint shop in a couple of weeks and the rebuild will begin! As the car had been mucked about with quite a lot before I started restoring it I am unsure where various components in the engine bay should go. If anyone one could email photos of there engine bay and photos showing the routes of pipes and cables and where they come through the bulkhead it would be greatly appreciated! The car in a RHD 1957 car. My email is t.pthurlow@hotmail.co.uk

Many thanks, Tom

Tom, if original your car will have SU carbies with banjo couplings to the fuel bowls, whereas Ash's car is later with push on fuel lines.

Andrew's car has later again and much improved HS6 SU carbies on a TR4A manifold which have a different fuel cross pipe and the choke cable on top. Your choke cable would have come from under the rear carby, but travels through the same firewall grommet to align with the dashboard hole for the pull knob.

The flasher canister mounted on the top right bolt of the master cylinder pocket. It was found they lasted longer if mounted vertically, but modern canisters may not need to be.

When you get assembled, as you can see, there are always unused holes (punched for LHD etc) to be filled with blanking grommets. You will find small square holes on the horizontal part of the firewall (for body assembly jigs) which fill successfully with round blanking grommets.

When you fit the master cylinder pocket and opposite side blanking plate, use some sealer on the mating surfaces, or water from the rear bonnet cutouts can find its way down into your legs.

There is a fully detailed as original firewall hole diagram floating around - Frank (Angelfj) from America might have it.

Regards,

Viv

There is a fully detailed as original firewall hole diagram floating around - Frank (Angelfj) from America might have it.

The firewall hole diagram is one of the pages on Teri Ann's TR site. Here is a link http://www.tr3a.info/

There is loads of other useful info on the site.

Rgds Ian

I bought my 1958 TR3A brand new. It is a very early one (TS 27489 LO) and has many of the features which would have been on your 1957 TR3. The master cylinders have all four outlet pipes standing straight up (see photo of mine), while some of the photos above show the later master cylinders with the front outlet pipes on a slope.

Also The control box should be oriented as mine shows and your TR3 should have the screw-on cable connections - not like the photo shown with the push-on connectors.

As mentioned above, you should have the braided fuel line feeding to the banjo fittings as mine shows.

I've also added a photo of my engine taken in 2007 at TRA where my TR3A was awarded second among 7 "early" TR3As in the judged concours show (96.0 points out of 100).

Mike Graham has a TR3 and Stuart explained it well to him. It looks like a thin wedge so the wiper motor is tilted on the mount. See under Mike's wiper motor. Maybe you will find it in your "misc." box of unknown items.

Also I have attached a photo of a TR2.

That does look more like my wiper motor mount, I will have a better look when I get the car back. The carbs are currently being rebuilt by Andrew Turner and he is doing them as they were originally. I'm sure I will be on here again asking for help during the rebuild!