Overdrive leaking at the rear housing interface

These ODs get suprisingly hot. The dissipation is about 300W or 1/2HP.

Alloy expands quite a bit. This squeezes the sealant. When it cools tiny gaps form.

You probably want an elastic sealant that adheres to metal.

Traditional sealants like Wellseal are very sticky but not elastic

Hylomar is elastic but not very sticky.

There is probably a modern Loctite that works better but I didn't know this at the time.

Al.

I am still waiting for Neil to explain the "Built right they don't leak" comment. But maybe that would be nugatory.

Berry

Berry

The guy I use must have by now built 20+ for me and some for friends over the years,and they can vouch no drip trays here.Only exception was last year which turned out to be a duff rear seal,Stuart and I sorted it.

Hi Neil,

Can you advise how you got the large Brass strainer nut/cap thingy to seal. I gather speaking to Stuart that they always leak and the repro seal is ****.

Rgds

Rod

Now the big brass thingy.

The onlyunusual thing I did with this was to machine up a key that engages with all the little slots.

This has a 1in bolt head in the centre.

I used some PTFE tape, the usual red washer and did it up until my eyes watered.

Al.

You may very well think so . . . .

squeezing amaretto out of nougat might be more profitable than extracting nuggets from the nugatory ? :P;)

Cheers

Alec

Hi Alec ,I did not no what a nugatory was

So I looked it up

Nugatory | Define Nugatory

dictionary.reference nugatory 1. of no real value; trifling; worthless.

2. of no force or effect; ...

That made me laugh

Pink

Edited by pinky

Nugatory is a word that I hadn't come across until I started working with civil servants. It's a term they use frequently.

No, that isn't a cheap shot a the aforementioned civil servants - it's a fact, it does seem to be a civil servant word.

Rgds Ian

Neil-I am still wondering how to achieve long term dryness. I agree with AlanT that the problem is caused by by the expansion&contraction of the AL cases and sealers that that don't stay elastic. The non-hardening permatex is now quite hard. Probably from the heat produced by the od, plus the exhaust.

I use 2 of the red fiber sealing washers on the brass drain plug and try not to overtighten it as I found that the washers can split from excessive. Too much pressure on the adapter plate and rear case may also produce distortion and leaks. Very entertaining.

Berry

One thing I spent time on was careful inspection of the areas immediately around the bolt holes.

These get burrs, distortion and so on which prevents accurate mating.

I some areas I indulged in the engineers favourite pastime of scraping to improve flatness.

Don't recommend this really because its easy to make it worse.

Use with utmost discretion if you really can see a problem area.

The real problem is the mating faces are too narrow and there are not enough bolts clamping them.

I am now searching around for more words that no one knows but sound good.

Here are a few pics of my O/D on the test-rig and the rig for removing the tail-shaft bearings.

http://flickr.com/gp/90670218@N04/9he0rr

Al.

Edited by AlanT

all good points Al and I agree that this interface was challenged from the start. My test rig will be the engine and gearbox installed in the frame and I'll decide at that time if the eventual leaks are too great to live with or if I need to take further action.

Dont take the leg pulling about "nugatory" too seriously, that is a cool word and it will be a sad day when I come here and dont learn something new.

Stan