TR2 with TR3A front apron

As a recently rejoined member after about a 36 year gap TRless I was reading the post headed "What have I got?" It reminded me that in my misspent youth in the early 1970's I bought from near Stoke on Trent a black 1955 TR2 registration no. PYW 2. It had as I recall an engine from a 4A and a front apron from a 3A, no hood or hoodsticks but a rusty factory steel hardtop that I never really bothered with unless there was a lot of rain about or long journeys to Wales and Scotland were in prospect. And a big fat exhaust pipe that made a tremendous noise when going through the long tunnel on Birmingham's new inner ring road.

I sold it in Herefordshire I think for about 250 pounds in 1978 shortly after we were married (foolish boy) to two blokes from the Midlands somewhere.

I was wondering whether the car is still alive as it had a particular distinguishing feature inasmuch as one of the bonnet hinges was made out of solid brass but that's another story.

If anyone has the car I can probably fill in a bit of history and add a few photos. But it could be that the valuable number plate has been separated from the car so does anyone have a car with a solid brass bonnet hinge?

Thanks everybody for the responses. Sad and a bit of a shame valuing a number plate more than a TR2 or maybe the latter became just too ropey after I sold it. Back in the early seventies value and appearances weren't too important as it was all about driving the thing, still just maybe somewhere someone has a 2 with a brass bonnet hinge........................................................

No, I imagine this TR2 does still exist...it was certainly rebuilt, and with a TR2 apron....it was for sale in I think the Wolverhampton area about 10 years ago, and I went to see it with a view to buying it....it was pretty smart, and still finished in black, and amazingly, still at that time carried the PYW2 registration. It was running, but had a broken rear spring ...can't think now why I didn't buy it....just the price i suspect, but probably I should have done....so, as it was in good order not that long ago, it will be about somewhere, even though the number plate bandits have subsequently been at it...the commission number was TS 5709 so say my records...Incidentally, as well as PYW2, PYT2 was also a TR2....Bill Piggott

I've absolutely no time whatsoever for number plate snobs! This practice should be banned. My E-type was originally registered with a 'KEV' plate but some tosser, obviously named Kevin, probably wanted it for his Euro fart box!! :angry:

These people should be issued with the plate 'TO55ERS'.

Tom. :(

Edited by Fireman049

A TR6 OK better watch out then Tom.

I was looking for A TR5 OK for years after seeing the above plate at one of the internationals back in about 1989, but I shall abandon all further thoughts of number crunching forthwith. :(

Seriously, it is very sad when these original numbers are parted from their cars.

All the best,

Dave.

• 8 years later...

Well, "PYW2", your TR2, was re-registered as 366 XUM years later, and I bought it (12 years ago -august 2009-) so it's French registered.

Yes, it's still alive !

110212_165105.jpg

Edited by Chris59

I've got some old documents (as MOT certificates or tax discs) who show PYW 2 then 366 XUM as registrations.

Edited by Chris59
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2013 at 6:38 PM, Fireman049 said:

These people should be issued with the plate 'TO55ERS'. Tom.

HEAR! HEAR!