Rear Springs won't fit!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys

A quick update on my springs, I have sent the oversize ones back for a refund and took advice from all that have responded to this thread and ordered a new set from the TR Shop yesterday at 4:30pm and they arrived this morning at 11:15 and YES they are the right size. Great service from the guys at the TR Shop.

So I am as chuffed as nutz :D . I shall get the rears on tonight as soon as I get home from work and then I can crack on with front.

A massive thank you to all that have responded via this forum (thread) and PM. ;)

We are all still waiting to hear what the original supplier has to say or what he thinks he sent you...... Cheers Peter W

===========================================================================

When they get them back I have asked them to let me know which springs they had sent me but having said that they were very adamant that they had sent me the CORRECT ones!!!!!!!!!!

I will let you know when I have heard from them.

Glad you got it sorted Kevo :) bet they will tell you bugger all :angry:

=====================================================

Thanks Neil ;) I hope they will but I'm not expecting much :o

Just for reference Kev, who were the original suppliers who got it wrong?

Tony

==================================================

Hi Tony

It was TR GB :o The guy in the stores was very helpful to be fair.

• 3 years later...

My existing rear springs are 102 mm OD, and have some 9 active windings (should be 6.75), length is as per original spec. The new poly seat rubbers are too small, and measure 91 mm OD and have a very loose fit in my springs. Question is if my springs are the wrong diameter (I am aware they are not original) or the rubber pads are too small. Anyone knows the correct dimensions for borh items? I have found 95 and 100 mm as outer diameter for the rear springs in other posts.

Thanks,

Waldi

My existing rear springs are 102 mm OD, and have some 9 active windings (should be 6.75), length is as per original spec. The new poly seat rubbers are too small, and measure 91 mm OD and have a very loose fit in my springs. Question is if my springs are the wrong diameter (I am aware they are not original) or the rubber pads are too small. Anyone knows the correct dimensions for borh items? I have found 95 and 100 mm as outer diameter for the rear springs in other posts.

Thanks,

Waldi

Hi Waldi

I can measure my newish ones that are in the car now and fit and I also could measure my old ones (if I can get to them). I could do this tomorrow and get back to you if this helps.

What is your coil thickness? If they are thinner they may require more windings!

Thanks,

Waldi

Hi Waldi

You may find this thread useful. http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/50992-tr6-origibnalfactory-ride-height-and-springs-specifications/

Hi Kev,

extra winding on a spring will not compensate for for a thinner gauge.

In fact the more windings the easier it will be to compress to a given position.

Roger

Hi Roger, you're quite right.

I should know better as I have wound many a spring by hand for locks etc.

Typing before thinking. Can't seem to think things properly since I've retired.

Hi Kev,

I noticed the other post, where your old springs are 95 mm OD.

I also found 98 and 100 mm in other posts, so not sure yet. Apologies if I misread, my english is ok but not very refined:).

Have to go to hospital now, will take full measurements of my rear springs this afternoon.

Thank you,

Waldi

Dunno if it is relevant - but.

When I was doing up the 4A one item I had to order from Moss was the metal dress strip(s) that run along the top of the rear guards.

The first set arrived with the last 4 inches folded over to fit into the slightly under length box. So did the second set.

Moss were really good at replacement (no cost) and the third set arrived in different packing and in perfect condition.

Turns out as a public service they employ handicapped people in the packing area, and my bloke used his noodle when he found the strips were too long for the package, and made them the right size to fit.

Edited by littlejim

Hi Kev,

When one retires there is more to think about, workload increases and there are only so many hours in the day.

Roger

Hi Roger

You've got that right, thought I'd be taking it easy and pottering around. Doh thinking again!!! -:)

Hi Kevin,

I just measured my rear springs:

Height: 290 mm

OD: 102 mm

ID: 74 mm

Wire thickness: 14.2/14.3 mm

Acive windings: 9

Total windings: 11.3

They are not original, that is clear, so I will buy originals, slightly uprated.

I would appreciate a measurement from an original spring, is it 95 or 100 mm OD?

Jim,

Not sure I understand what you mean, sorry.

Thanks,

Waldi

Edited by Waldi

Hi Kevin,

I just measured my rear springs:

Height: 290 mm

OD: 102 mm

ID: 74 mm

Wire thickness: 14.2/14.3 mm

Acive windings: 9

Total windings: 11.3

They are not original, that is clear, so I will buy originals, slightly uprated.

I would appreciate a measurement from an original spring, is it 95 or 100 mm OD?

Jim,

Not sure I understand what you mean, sorry.

Thanks,

Waldi

Hi Waldi

Front spring: Free length 10.03 inches (261mm)

Wire diameter - 0.5 inches

Spring diameter - 4 inches (100mm)

Number of working coils 5 ¼ with grey paint markings

Rear spring: Free length 11.50 inches (292.1mm)

Wire diameter - 0.5 inches

Spring diameter - 3.74 inches (95mm)

Number of working coils 6 ¾ with green & white paint markings

Don't think that the rears are original but I think the fronts maybe.

Hi Kev,

Thanks for your effort, yes, agree, fronts are original, rears are not.

Will but new rear ones.

Cheers,

Waldi

IIRC there were several changes made by the factory to TR6 rear springs - later models being stiffer.

They also messed about with the trailing arm attachment brackets when the springs changed, hence the three types, one notch, two notch and three notch, done to ease identification.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

They also messed about with the trailing arm attachment brackets when the springs changed, hence the three types, one notch, two notch and three notch, done to ease identification.

Peter W

+1 you need to find out what you have.Even the arms was changed,check the numbers.

Thank you all.

I have the early brackets with 1 notch on the inner and 2 notches on the outer brackets, my car is a 1970 CP car.

From what I have read the trailing arms are the early style TA's, (the ribs are not reinforced), but consider me a junior TR member.

I do not understand however how these would impact spring selection, is there something I should be aware of when ordering springs?

I have not decided on ride hight yet, but defenitely want a slighty higher springrate, will study the other posts around this topic.

Thanks,

Waldi