When I Waxoyl this kind if thing I dilute it with white-spirit if its gone thick. Especially if I am doing this in cold-weather. Its really much better done in hot weather because it spreads about better.

I use an oil can, the type with a lever you push down with your thumb.

Mine has a long thin plastic spout. You can wiggle it through a screw hole or drill small holes.

I have used a compressor driven spray-gun but you got to thin it quite a bit for this.

I just leave it to find its own way out. Usually I tape up any drain holes for a few weeks so it can spread rather than running out.

Beware that you may bring off paint, if this is of a type that does not dry hard. Also underseal will get softened.

Oh, I nearly forgot the "Chinese Takeaway Trick". You eat the takeaway of course. But this leaves a pile of aluminium trays that are ideal to catch stuff that runs out.

You can "recycle" this if you let it stand and skim it off.

Al.

Edited by AlanT

I am using a waxoyl alternative that I bought in a 5 litre tin. I stored it in the garage and when opened and turned upside down.......nothing, very thick, couldnt even shake it out.

However after a night on the radiator it was like water and was easily applied via a cheap parafin gun that came with my compressor. Mind you I have just ordered this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110919651673?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 to utilise the probe.

A word of warning about using a Schutz gun. Make sure the can is properly attached and that the thread is not damaged. Otherwise the can can and will pop off releasing the gunge absolutely everywhere in a very short period of time. How do I know this, well I'm still finding spots of the stuff on the garage walls and ceiling. I wore the rest.

http://www.bilthamber.com/

check out this web site,Forget waxoil use DYNAX -S50

it is so simple comes in very large aerosol can be used in most weathers

comes with long thin probe sprays out in 4 directions.

This was first suggested to me by a TR6 owner from Scotland who uses his car in all weathers.

I have dumped my woxoyl kit and wouldn't use anything else.

I do not have any connections with the company it is just good stuff

regards Lee

http://www.bilthamber.com/

check out this web site,Forget waxoil use DYNAX -S50

it is so simple comes in very large aerosol can be used in most weathers

comes with long thin probe sprays out in 4 directions.

This was first suggested to me by a TR6 owner from Scotland who uses his car in all weathers.

I have dumped my woxoyl kit and wouldn't use anything else.

I do not have any connections with the company it is just good stuff

regards Lee

==========================================================================

Thats what I'm using :) . Still needs to be warmed up though.

It smells like waxoyl initially but seems to disappear quickly.

I used 2x750 ml cans with two application tubes which was sufficient to do the whole car. As the tubes are very thin they may block up as the wax congeals in cold weather but a quick warm up with hot water or hair dryer and you are on your way again.

I even drilled some holes in the valances (behind the carpet inside the car) the probe is so small it can reach through most holes without the need to drill.

I didn't notice any adverse smells.

regards Lee

Hi Folks,

I stopped using Waxoyl a few years ago. It's a pain in the butt to handle, impossible to get consistent dilution, comes with a crappy applicator and provides dubious coverage due it's lack of fluidity.

For several years now I've been using Tectyl, which comes in 600ML spray cans complete with a short, needle thin rigid plasticapplicator which is about 4 inches long and a long (about 1.5ft) thin flexible plastic tube fitted with a brass spray nozzle which gives a great 360 degree fan spray.. It also comes with bag of black plastic caps if you need to drill and seal additional holes for application.

The product itself is about as fluid as water in temperatures down to almost zero and when applied dries to a thick, semi hard brown wax. It's dead easy to apply, clean, doesn't smell badly or for long and I swear by it. It's manufactured by Ashland Inc., the makers of Valvoline oils and is supplied to the car industry iin a range of specifications as an anti rust coating.

I first came across it when I was working in Switzerland where it's sold in all the Co op supermarkets throughout the country. There are also UK distributors listed such as Euro Car Parts. Otherwise, it's a good excuse to visit switzerland!

Happy de rusting,

JEFFR

I redid my 4A with waxoyl early dec when it was about 10 deg. Used 25 % thinning with white spirit and stood pressure can in bucket of boiling water for 40 mins, with 3 kw fan heater on outside of bucket . It really takes this long to get it thin like paraffin and ok to spray with the waxoyl probe. When done right it seeps out of seams you did not know were there. Use down skuttle as well and collect excess in containers in footwells after first removing drain hoses,