Just found a lovely order 6, lovely condition throughout BUT the doors just don't fit nice enough, I know they never did but these are worse than normal, the car has been re-built. I would love to buy it but I know the doors would drive me crackers.

What' can, if anything, be done to address this, with adjustment or any other tricks ?.

The n/s one over shuts, could probably live with that one.

The o/s sticks out 10 to 12 mm at bottom and 5 ish at top.

Help me out guys.......

Well I'm new to TR's John, but I've had other cars. My first thoughts are that its twisted.

Dave

The N/side needs the catch adjusting out a little. The O/side one as stated needs a little twist in at the bottom and then the catch adjusting in a little. If the rest of the car is good then those are small problems though.

Stuart.

Basically yes, tools required are as follows. Flat Screwdriver/pair of long nose pliers/thin pin punch/2 bits of wood/Large G clamp/1/2" spanner & 7/16" socket is all you need.

Stuart.

Basically yes, tools required are as follows. Flat Screwdriver/pair of long nose pliers/thin pin punch/2 bits of wood/Large G clamp/1/2" spanner & 7/16" socket is all you need.

Stuart.

.......... and a 'Stuart' would also come in handy ... :P

Legend has that there used to be a piece of wood on the assembly line for "adjusting" the doors as the cars came off the line!!

Cheers Rob

Some say a Cricket bat ;)

Stuart.

Just found a lovely order 6, lovely condition throughout BUT the doors just don't fit nice enough, I know they never did but these are worse than normal, the car has been re-built. I would love to buy it but I know the doors would drive me crackers.

What' can, if anything, be done to address this, with adjustment or any other tricks ?.

Help me out guys.......

If the gap top to bottom of the doors between the B post and the rear of the door is approaching parallel then it does not sound like too much of a problem. It would be worth driving to see Stuart in the car if you buy it as getting siomeone who has experience of fixing this sort of thing to do the repair WILL work out cheaper than attempting it yourself or getting someone that has not done it before to make the repair and the result will be much better. Do you have photos ?

Legend has that there used to be a piece of wood on the assembly line for "adjusting" the doors as the cars came off the line!!

Cheers Rob

My Uncle worked on the MG Line in abingdon from 1958 to 1978 and he confirmed the existance of large hammers crow bars and lumps of wood on the final inspection line for "Minor panel Adjustment" I think it would have been the same at Standard

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog