Early TR4 door seal

Look what I've just found while searching through some stuff.

P1030368.jpg

I knew I had a plastic bag containing some seals but didnt realise they were these and the lucky thing is I think I have enough to do the car.

They are definately more than 20 years old because they came with the car when I bought it but I dont know how they will fit until I get the car back from the painters.

You can see the different density of the base and the seal and the seal foamy bit feels quite soft.

They do look like originals to me though the first repro set I had for my 4a were bought about 18yrs ago and they were soft but still too large to let the doors fit properly. Let us know if they fit OK.

Stuart.

• 1 year later...

They do look like originals to me though the first repro set I had for my 4a were bought about 18yrs ago and they were soft but still too large to let the doors fit properly. Let us know if they fit OK.

Stuart.

After all this time Ive just fitted these seals to the nearside and can confirm that there is no way the door will shut!

I had to prize every mm into the channel which was a b'stard job.

I've given the door a good slam and its very 'sticky outtie' at the lock side.

Did anyone of the contributors to this thread find a satisfactory solution please?

Edited by AlfredHitchcock

I was wondering why my doors on this car where not fitting well, this explains it as all my other cars had shut quite well. Do most agree that the TRF seals are the ones to get here in the US?

The TRF ones are about as good as is possible to get currently.

Stuart.

Hi Nick,

I need both tap and die. The tap was £10 (from China) but the die is £30+.

So I have a piece of silver steel that I shall turn into a die.

9/16 tapped hole in the middle.

Three holes drilled around the tapped hole for swarf clearance.

Heat the whole thing up to nearly red hot and quench.

This will produce a very hard die (perhaps too hard). As I am tapping Ali this shouldn;t be a problem.

Roger

I received the other 'TR4' seal today and you will see from the pictures below the comparisons of the 3 seals.

P1040470_zpsdf9d7166.jpg

This picture shows my 20+ year old seal in the middle, the TRF one on the right and the other new UK supplied one on the left. Its pretty obvious that the UK one is a non-starter. Its lack of height doesnt provide enough to bridge the glass to frame gap.

P1040465_zps20c3623b.jpg

This picture has the TRF seal in the middle and you can see its slightly slimmer than my old seal.

P1040463_zps627b831a.jpg

This picture shows the difference better. TRF seal in the middle again.

P1040472_zps846a0c57.jpg

Finally you can see how they sit in the channel. Also as Rogers already pointed out the TRF one is a doddle to fit whereas the smaller new UK one is even worse than my 20+ year old seal to fit.

I was hoping that I could find a UK supplier for these but unfortunately it seems there isnt one.

Edited by AlfredHitchcock

Personally I would go with the TRF version. The Rimmers one is loose in the repro channel sections as sold now though funnily enough a reasonable fit in the original Stanpart channel. Your 20 year old one is the same as I tried using then and gave up as they were just too bulky.

Stuart.