Best fuel filter location?

The options are :

A. between the Webers and the fuel pressure regulator; or

B. between the fuel pressure regulator and the electric fuel pump (which is located adjacent to the tank in the rear wheel arch); or

C. it doesn't matter!

Thanks - Miles

An inline filter before the pump keeps everything ahead of it clean.

If placing a filter at the tank end, it's worthwhile fitting an inline ball valve tap to allow filter replacement. Otherwise the fuel line has to be clamped or plugged, neither being ideal. Good quality fuel line and hose clamps are a wise investment.

Rollover cut off switches go hand in hand with electric pumps.

Viv.

Miles, on my 3A I fitted a Huco pump (3,6 psi) on the outside, on the vertical panel of the body beetween the weelarches. The inline filter is located in the hose from the tank outlet to the pump.

It's a self priming pump that stops when no fuel demand exists. In so far there is no fuel regulator required for the Webers

At the beginning the pump was used in conjunction with the SU carbs, now with Webers, it's on the car since 2003 and never caused a problem

I also fitted a 2nd pump, off line ( Hardy, low pressure ) in the engine bay, so that I/m able to connect it in case of...

Both pumps are made in Germany

Over here, some of us are adding an extra paper filter just before the carbs. Why? They are cheap insurance and there have been cases where US gasoline blends (with ethanol) have caused the fuel pump diaphragm to slowly disintegrate and bits have been found in carbs.

1b10_12-r1_zpsd8be221b.jpg

There was another section on the Forum covering this topic, in which more than one contributor stated that subjecting an in-line filter to suction caused the element to collapse and reduce the pressure or even block the line. Hence, the advice was to place such a filter on the outlet side of the pump i.e. between pump and carburettors.

I can see that those with an electric pump would wish to protect the pump and so I imagine one could safely place a metal gauze filter, similar to that at the top of the bowl on the conventional, engine-driven, pump, into the line between the tank and the pump - and that's where it is situated in the conventional set-up!

Ian Cornish

I was one of those that experienced collapse of a plastic filter on the inlet side of the standard AC fuel pump (diagnosed on rolling-road session). If I were to use one in that position again, I would either use a metal/glass filter body with replaceable filter element, or if using plastic again, change it more frequently than in the past (e.g. at least once a year, or maybe every oil change), not just when it looks murky!

A Facet pump should only be fitted with there filter attached to it. Then the inline filter should be a glass fitment only,the 5p plastic ones should not be used anywhere. None of these parts should be attached to the engine.

Started a bit of a hare running there but lots of useful information as usual - thanks all.

So, I need to check if my Facet pump has a Facet filter between the tank and the pump and if not, fit one there.

With that filter in place, an inline filter after the pump seems a bit like overkill as the first filter should pick up any ****, and there is very little rubber between the pump and the pressure regulator in the engine bay (and I am renewing the rubber hose in any event). But if I did want to fit one, it should go between the pump and pressure regulator rather than between the regulator and carbs. All other details and suggestions (metal / glass type, in-linetap, rollover cut out switch) noted!

Miles

Edited by MilesA