DONNINGTON PARK 16th SEPT

Guest Mick RichardsChange...

Very nice Christian, good mix of corners spread over a rolling valley, with a reasonable straight and either a chicane or if the full track used extended into the famous Melbourne Loop where the Audis used to take to the air coming over the brow of the hill in 1938 just prior to the last...(cough) disagreement.

However my personal favourite is Mallory Park (only about 10 miles from Donnington Park) which has a 30mph hairpin and also amongst it's other bends large righthanded 100 mph (160 kph) plus tightening bend extending over about 700 metres of the track. How much over the 100 you go depends on how close you want to go to the TR record there, but for a smallish track (2.09km) which I think has a record of 52.4 or thereabouts (I've not been involved in racing for a while so I'm sure it's moved on and Mike Hughes will be along shortly and confirm), you have to have over 200kph indicated on the clock.

Mick Richards

Mick Richards

Yes I believe the TR time is around 1.24 (may have changed) for the National (shorter) circuit normally used for club racing which I think is about 88mph average. I don't think there is a TR time established for the Garnd Prix circuit (not in a TR event anyway).

Mallory certainly is way over 92mph average, there is also a large fishing lake in the centre of the circuit which a few cars have been in when they got Gerards wrong ! ( the long righthander).

We are fortunate in the Midlands with Donnington Park, Mallory Park, Silverstone, Oulton Park, Cadwell Park all within about a 2 1/2 hour journey time.

Mick Richards

The TR Register Race Championship lap record for Mallory Park was still 52.4 secs when the series finished in 2007 and was held by a certain Mick Richards in his TR7V8.

However the quickest lap that I know of by a TR is Mark Campbells 52.2 secs (93mph) set in practice for the CSCC Swinging 60's race in 2011.

You should come over and race at Donington and Mallory next year Christian!

Mike

When the TR Register Race Championship raced at Zandvoort in 1998,1999 & 2000 we took over up to 25 British TR racers.

The majority went overnight on the Hull/Rotterdam crossing and then drove the relatively short distance to Zandvoort. Others went on the high speed Harwich/Hook of Holland crossing. A few went Dover/Ostend and drove up through Belgium and Holland and one or two even crossed Dover/Calais and then France/Belgium/Holland.

Obviously you would be travelling a lot farther from Germany. In fact in 1995 3 German TR racers came over to compete with us at Donington Park and had a great time although it was a long way to travel. They were Dieter Seidel TR4, Peter Spaeth TR4 and Reiner Reinholdt TR3, (not sure if I have the correct spelling for these guys). If they are still about it may be worth asking them of their experiences.

Mike

Thanks tor that info Mike.

I hoped the English might have a special racer deal with the ferry companies or something like that and we could jump on this.

If Donington comes on our schedule for next year, Seidel and Spaeth might return to England once more.

We are currently working on the next season for the TC and thinking about a championship race at Donington.

Chris

Crikey Mike, don't time fly, I finished racing in 1996 so that 52.4 time was probably set in 94 or 95.

Mark Campbells 1:21 for Donnington shows how technology develops (not to underestimate his undoubted driving skill), I understand the new rubber is worth a couple of secs a lap so coupled with a further 17 years development maybe we could still be competitive...hmm where's my helmet ?

Mick Richards

I do not know who has told you that the current tyres we use are worth 2 seconds a lap at Mallory but they are kidding you!

Back in 1996 when you set that lap record we all ran on Yokohama A008Rs, a superb tyre which gave excellent grip and a progressive breakaway when pushed to the limit. Its only drawback was that due to its semi-slick tread pattern it was no good in the wet. Yokohama then produced a very good wet tyre equivalent the A021R but unfortunately very few tyres were produced in 15" size and they were quickly snapped up by the serious and wealthier competitors and no more were produced in that size. Yokohama then introduced the A032R which was not liked, certainly by the early TRs as due to its construction, once you reached the limit of its grip the sudden breakaway was not easily controlled resulting in quite a few accidents and damaged cars.

I remember being invited to Donington by Yokohama so we could do back to back tests with the A008R and A032R but they still failed to convince us that the new tyre was better.

Because of the criticism of the new A032R Yokohama carried on producing the A008R for a lot longer than they had anticipated and it was several years later that they finally introduced the current A048R as the tyre of choice for many club racers. However I do not believe that the A048R is any better than the old A008R except in the wet. It is undoubtedly a softer compound but that means that even in short 10 lap races the tyres start to go off after a few laps if driven hard.

No give me the old A008R and ideally the A021R if its wet.

Mike

Hi Mike,

interesting story about the tire history of Yokohama.

I only drive on A048 and this year the A039 was the last time in service as I was so slow in the wet at Spa.

With new Yokos 48 I gained 8 seconds. No reason for maintaining rain tires anymore.

What is your feel about Le Mans as we are discussing racing at Le Mans next year. That would be for the Germans two top events - Donington and Le Mans and as a minor hight light Spa. The Eifelrace unfortunately clashing with Spa.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by MadMarx

Chris

I have to admit that I have never been to Le Mans either as a competitor or spectator but if you get the chance to race there you should obviously take it.

Donington, Le Mans and Spa would be 3 great events for your guys and I am sure Hugo, Richard and all at the Classic Sports Car Club would be able to integrate your cars into the various race categories that they will be running at Donington in 2013 given plenty of notice.

Mike

Chris,

There is the problem of the way that the MSA treats 'foreign drivers'.

Unless a race is registered on "the FIA International Calendar or the respective ASN’s [in this case the MSA's] National Events with

Authorised Foreign Participation Calendar", you will be refused entry. See: http://www.msauk.org...Appendix 3).pdf

First paragraph.

This registration costs severl hundred pounds/euros and organisers won't spend that unless they want to attract European drivers. It works both ways. Events that you have been in, at Zandvoort, Spa, the 'Ring or wherever that attracted UK TRs will have had this registration, but it's not obvious until you try to get a European driver a race in the UK. I tried to get Bert Smeets and the Le Mans TR8 into the Birkett one year, and it was impossible. The 750MC had plenty of applicants and no need to spend the money to let one special car in.

I don't think that the MSA or any of the European ASNs have been told about the European Union, the Schengen Agreement or any of that stuff that allow free movement between our countries.

Sorry!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

What you describe there is a real problem for all racers in Europe under the banner of FIA.

I think the only way to run under the barriers is.....for center Europe to rely on the borders from Karl the great:

Frankenreich_768-811.jpg

That would include all French tracks, also Italien ones.

For the UK tracks we need to find a time when England and France was one, like William the conquerer 1066.

Henry_II%2C_Plantagenet_Empire.png

This would then include most UK tracks.

BUT....would this be accepted by the MSA's?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cheers

Chris

Edited by MadMarx