Wind Deflector adapting

Dear all

Having recently been in a modern car with a wind deflector I think I will benifit from one and more importantly perhaps my passenger wants one! I have seen a number of types ftted to TRs and for what they are they seem expensive and not always attractive. There are plenty on ebay for other cars has anybody experience of adapting one to fit a TR?. There are some for MX5s which look ideal but no measurements?

Best regards

Smeggie

I too have a certain passenger who wants a deflector. I tried one but it was not satisfactory. It sat far too high and spoilt the look of the 6. It did nothing for the hair style and created a gale between the seats. I reckon its height - same as fully up side windows - meant that it acted as an air scoop. The supplier was very fair and took it back for a refund. I have MX5 seats which, in this case required a different mounting system, using the loop mounting for the inertia reel seat belts on the top of the inner wing.

I have noticed some lower mounted ones in pictures of members cars on this forum and have sent PM's asking for the suppliers' details but, no one has responded so I would be glad of information leading to a suitable product.

Jim

I have fitted one from a sshhh MGTF, some simple brackets and because it is lower than others I have seen it enables the hood to be put up and down easily. Sorry I don't have any photo's on the laptop.

Well, I'm sorry to say that my unsuccessful trial was with a Breezebreaker. This was despite the efforts of the supplier to make it work for me - he was great. Maybe the problems were the result of the special mountings needed for the MX5 seats.

PJM: forgive my ignorance but what is a sshhh MGTF? I like the sound of "lower than others"

Jim

Hi Smeggie,

I went a different route and designed my own which I then got made in toughened glass. It works a treat. It took a bit of experimenting with a polycarbonate mock up to find the most effective height but it was a fun process. It was also a lot cheaper than the ones commercially available.

Regards

Les

post-918-0-06418400-1340283675_thumb.jpg

post-918-0-06418400-1340283675_thumb.jpg

Hi Smeggie,

I took a lot of time trialling different heights. I originally made a mock up polycarbonate breeze breaker that went to the top of the roll bar but found I got reflected draught. I then cut the top 2 inches and later another inch off and re-attached it with tape so it could be moved up or down like a flap. We found the lower height was better. I then fitted vinyl 'ears' that go from the breeze breaker to the windows and this again helped to cut out side draughts. My wife was very pleased with the final effect.

Over the winter I changed to a 'Caged' roll bar that has an integral harness bar so I have just designed a more complicated breeze breaker that includes slots for harnesses to pass through and this is currently with my glazier. It is amazing what you can do with glass. My glazier can give me any shape, any colour and with any engraving.

I just enjoy experimenting and taking endless test runs with my wife until we are happy with the result.

I agree it would be more difficult to attach if I didn't have a roll bar but maybe not impossible using the lower soft top mount and some aluminium bracketry.

There is some reflection with the soft top up but I very rarely ever have the top up. In the winter I remove the breeze breaker and put my hard top on. It is attached using allen headed furniture bolts and barrel shaped nuts and only takes seconds to remove.

Best wishes

Les

I have noticed some lower mounted ones in pictures of members cars on this forum and have sent PM's asking for the suppliers' details but, no one has responded so I would be glad of information leading to a suitable product.

Jim

Not sure if it were me Jim sorry , but I did reply, I got mine from ( Classic Additions) Shropshire, I cannot send the link ,

but the site pops up on search,

Cheers Gordon

Hi JJ and Smeggie,

Having read this thread with interest I thought you might like to look up Classic Additions. In 2005, at the request of my passenger, who hated the cold wind in her hair and the well known TR parting, I bought a Wind Deflector ( £125 inc vat) from Classic Additions, and drove all the way to Monte Carlo with the hood down. Admittedly the weather was fine but 750miles without a load of dirt, etc in your hair is a bonus plus it was one of the best buys I made. You would be surprised at the amount of rubbish the nylon mesh catches. Classic Additions still sell them, although the prices has upped somewhat, but you can check out their website which supplies Wind Deflector for a myriad of models, and shows photographic instructions on how to fit them to individual models, all TRs included. However, bear in mind this is only MHO.

Why should you buy one? Simple, because your worth it.!!

Edited by F69

Thanks Gordon, Andrew & F69,

I had found their website but nothing on there gives any indication of the height of the top of the device when fitted, nor whether it will fit with MX5 seats. This was undoubtedly the problem with the Breezebreaker I tried - made worse by the MX5 seats which mean the hood mountings cannot be used, When mounted to the seat belt guides on the wheel arches, the top of the deflector was level with the top of the fully wound up side windows. The wind was then worse than without the deflector.

I think that what I need is the Breezebreaker set up but with the deflector of reduced dimensions so that it is not as high and does not act as a wind scoop.

Jim

Jim.

Sorry for the late response but we have been away.

A sshhh is commonly used to be quiet, MGTF is a rival make of car MG TF being the open top sports car model.

Readily available there are currently 15 available on e bay at the moment http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=mgtf+wind+deflector&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I have no financial interest etc

Maybe Chris has developed different brackets since you bought Jim, the web site does mention the MX5 brackets on the price list, I have MX5 mark 2 seats fitted. Chris asked me for the measurement between rear of seats and lower bolt on hood frame bracket to ensure I had the correct brackets.

All fitted perfectly, top of breeze breaker is 1 1/2" below top of fully wound up side windows and just above top of headrests

Gary, sorry I do not have phone number for Chris but his communication with me via email was excellent and very helpful, no commercial interest here just a happy customer!

Cheers

Hi Phil,

No, your PM did not reach me. I am happy for you to use my email address: j.johnstone491@btinternet.com Thanks for taking the trouble.

Cheers

Jim

Hi GreenhillTR6 - Andy!

I did have the MX5 brackets which were available at the time. My seats are MK 1's with the fixed head rests. I have emailed Chris today so hope to have another shot at it.

Jim

Cheers Andy,

It will be the end of July before I get delivery but I will post the result here.

A big thank you to Phil, who provided me with much helpful info. What a great club this is with members who are more than happy to help their fellows! I have heard of other clubs where members keep all useful info the themselves.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone who responded to my pleas.

I took delivery of a Breeze Breaker a couple of days ago. The bracketry is greatly, but simply modified compared to the last one I tried, unsuccessfully. I have MX5 MK 1 seats, which necessitate using the seat belt pivot mounting on the rear wheel arches to mount the deflector. The top of the deflector now sits about 1.5 inches above the headrests and does not spoil the appearance of the car. A road test has shown a marked improvement. Approx the top half of my head is above the top of the Breeze Breaker and feels a draught. This does not bother me at all. But, from ear level downwards there is a huge reduction in draught and no buffeting.

Many thanks to Chris Russell who has been very patient and has helped to arrive at a satisfactory conclusion.

Jim