1st post with a question

hi, its time to intoduce myself my car and ask a question?

the car i have is a 1966 tr4a with a modified engine,...a photo is encosed of this...

question ?..i need to renew the front suspension top ball joint and having looked on ebay

i am suprised at the different prices been asked for these,ranging from £10 to £23 for one.

is there any difference in the quality between these, is it worth paying the higher price, expecting

to get a better quality item or should i go for the cheaper one and safe money,...thanks in advance of any replies

post-7469-0-53717400-1339929759_thumb.jpg

post-7469-0-53717400-1339929759_thumb.jpg

Hi Terry and welcome.

I would buy from the recognised suppliers (Moss, Revington, Rimmers etc; look on their websites).

If you susequently get problems, then these suppliers will readily replace the part where eBay suppliers may not.

It may be that all these parts are made by the same manufacturer, but with something like the top ball joint, I wouldn't take a chance!

Hope that helps,

Geoff

Some top ball joints are not well made. When I asked Neil Revington to supply a replacement 3 or 4 years ago (advisory on an MOT), he said I would have to wait as he had rejected a batch - which shows that some suppliers do check such things! I received a ball joint, which moved freely in all directions, some 6 weeks later.

So - my answer to the original question would be: yes.

But you will have to decide whether price indicates quality or whether you have to use some other criterion (e.g. personal experience or personal recommendation).

Ian Cornish

If you can find a nice NOS with the fitting for a grease nipple that has been correctly stored and not rusted then in my opinion its worth a bit more. As far as buying new I would follow Ians advice and pay for decent quality. Most of the new ones are sealed for life units not something I am super keen on myself but thats just personal bias and I did use a set on the TR4 that I sold a couple of years ago and had no problems.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

Hi Terry,

Quality is certainly variable...not only the metal/functional parts but also the rubber gaiter. These can be so bad that the rubber cracks to pieces even before the joint is fitted (happened to me)...if the rubber on your existing joints is good it's worth considering transplanting those gaiters on to the new hardware.... I would recommend buying from a reputable source.

Hi Terry,

Quality is certainly variable...not only the metal/functional parts but also the rubber gaiter. These can be so bad that the rubber cracks to pieces even before the joint is fitted (happened to me)...if the rubber on your existing joints is good it's worth considering transplanting those gaiters on to the new hardware.... I would recommend buying from a reputable source.

hi ctc, this is the problem that i have- [rubber boots perished]- so i have decided to replace both ball joints while i am at it ,...

they have been on the car since i started its restoration in 1980 and finished it in 1986,so i think are due for replacement..............over the last 2 years i have renewed the shocks,

suspension rubbers and trunnions,..now its time for those ball joints??,..........then the track rod ends ,perhaps??? B)

Edited by terry

Welcome to the forum Terry

Very tidy looking engine bay - I like the under bonnet light! :)

Cheers

Ian

hi ian, thanks for that ,i does me best to try and keep it smart ,...that photo was taken last year and is how it as looked since 1986 (apart from one thing??!!,)

and that is the electronic ignition unit,..you can see the present one on the bulkhead just below the washer bottle,...this is, ..beleive it the third one i have fitted due to 2 failures in the past,.....on both occasions i had to revert back to the points system to get me home,[the points and capacitor etc come with me all the time now ready to fit and are still with me in the glove box just in case,....strange is'nt that the only break downs were due to electronic falure!!!???

Welcome to the forum Terry

- I like the under bonnet light! :)

Cheers

Ian

hi ian again,...i fitted those ..(there is another one on the other side),.. in 1987 just after its restoration ,as a aid in case of a break down at night ???,.but they have never being used in anger yet!!!??,..fingers crossed

that photo was taken last year and is how it as looked since 1986 (apart from one thing??!!,)

and that is the electronic ignition unit,..you can see the present one on the bulkhead just below the washer bottle,...this is, ..beleive it the third one i have fitted due to 2 failures in the past,.....on both occasions i had to revert back to the points system to get me home,[the points and capacitor etc come with me all the time now ready to fit and are still with me in the glove box just in case,....strange is'nt that the only break downs were due to electronic falure!!!???

Sounds a common problem and I'm sticking to points for just this reason.