The first 2 rally TR7s were KDU 497N and KDU 498N.I dont know of any other works rally cars with similar registrations but the factory did make a few replicas for advertising purposes. Maybe its 498 with a bit of dirt on the number plate.
I dont think its a works run car, as the front wings have dealer sponsorship on them whereas the factory used that space for Leyland  logos,prior to the British Airways sponsorship,the white cars had no big sponsor only the trade suppliers. In fact it says "Croal Bryson for Leyland cars" on the front and rear wings so it was probably a car run by a Leyland dealer. Could have been built by Del Lines for either a customer or himself before receiving his trademark private plates, and Century oils logos or it could have been built at Abingdon for a customer.

A lot of the early rally cars used the Salisbury 4HA axle because the 5 speed axle wasn't available and the 4 speed wasn't man enough. The 4HA had a wider track than the 4 or 5 speed axle so would explain the full arches. I did actually have one of these axles, and a friend has another, however i let it go as it involved five linking the body to accomodate it. The lower trailing links mount to the standard points, but the upper links mount to specially fabricated points on the rear firewall. These gain structural strength by picking up onto the roll cage structure where it crossed at the transmission tunnel. The main roll hoop feet in my car still show the captive nuts used to bolt this structure to. This cross beam would tie the rear firewall together.

The half shafts for the 4HA i had were missing, so the grief involved in locating parts, building 5 link mounts etc did not warrant the gains over the 5 speed axle for a road & track day car.

Cheers

Andy

• 9 years later...

I know this is an ancient topic but this car was my fathers and I'm currently trying to track it down. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

If anyone would like to know some history bout the car just ask.

Yours nick

My father is peter tokely he was both driver and owner but got the car cheaper as his father was md of croall Bryson's a British leyland dealership. The car was actually sold with a twisted chassis as my father give it a bit to much on a jump and twisted her on landing. He sold the 7 and got the works tr8 with the 4 litre rather than the 3.5 which he went on to take div 2 scottish rally championship in 1978, he sold the tr8 and was all set to take clarkes tr8 when British leyland went bust.

Thanks for your help

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of useless trivia...

The Croal Bryson dealership this car was advertising in Kelso became Lloyds Land Rover in 2012.

It's also where I work as a spray painter and only last week, Robert Croalls Triumph Stag was in for some pre sale rust repairs!

Edited by Rico
  • 2 weeks later...

My father is peter tokely he was both driver and owner but got the car cheaper as his father was md of croall Bryson's a British leyland dealership. The car was actually sold with a twisted chassis as my father give it a bit to much on a jump and twisted her on landing. He sold the 7 and got the works tr8 with the 4 litre rather than the 3.5 which he went on to take div 2 scottish rally championship in 1978, he sold the tr8 and was all set to take clarkes tr8 when British leyland went bust.

Thanks for your help

Nick

Really interesting stuff Nick, I started this topic 10 years ago and would be really interested to see other pictures of your fathers rally cars.

Kdu 488n was also on British leyland Motorsport advertisement poster along with my fathers earlier rally car the Morris marina reg nks 191 will try upload a picture of poster at wknd with some more of the cars.

Nick

post-13046-0-49595900-1414449184_thumb.jpg

post-13046-0-65155200-1414449214_thumb.jpg

post-13046-0-06536900-1414449259_thumb.jpg

post-13046-0-95548600-1414449291_thumb.jpg

post-13046-0-59666800-1414449340_thumb.jpg

I'm actually trying to find pictures of last rally my dad done in 1980 tyneside stages where he finished 3rd as he has none and he had a virgin to rally co driver, an ex scottish rugby player jock turner. If any one has any I will buy them.

Thanks for your interest johnwood. Any relation to ken wood??

Nick