I"m hoping to make the 4A handle bit better by playing around with the tyre pressures. The recommendations I've found so far should be shown below (if the attachment process works):*

post-3863-0-90788800-1333343715_thumb.jpg

Currently using the "book" pressures but no likum. Think I'll try Stuart's next, but open to suggestions.

* Photobucket is giving me the cold shoulder - won't take any more pictures on board. Might have to change my brand of toothpaste.

post-3863-0-90788800-1333343715_thumb.jpg

Hi Littlejim,

Marx numbers will be OK on the track, I use the same as Stuart after much trial and error. What I found the most important was the difference between front and rear, between 2 and 4 PSI seems to work well.

Once over 30PSI I find the car seems very light and skitty, similar to driving on a slippy surface, although I have used it on the track and it seems OK. I guess the surface of a track is different, probably more abrasive than road surface.

Cheers

Little jim,

Stuart is very close to the mark,

24Fr 28 Rr seems to suit most road applications, personally I would NOT go below 22 Fr, You are getting close to the possibility running the tyre off the rim in decent cornering.

You can also up the rears to 30 for a full boot load or sustained high speed motoring.

John.

Hi LittleJim,

your table makes interesting reading. They all show (for the 4A) lower pressure at the front.

I would have thought it would have been better to have lower at the rear.

The front end is heavier than the back 'cos of the engine etc. With the lower tyre pressure this would give a much greater foot print than the rear with the higher pressure.

This gives the benefit of the rear breaking away before the front.

Silly question time - Would it not be better to have the higher pressure at the front and have apprx equal sized foot prints.

Roger

Thanks to all!

Wouldn't have thought of some of those variations with my limited imagination.

look forward to trying them out over a period of time.

Will have to select a decent circuit with a few bends to get your money's worth.

No Roger!

weight the tyre is carrying is not the only criteria.

If you look at any tyre pressure chart from the period of the sixties and seventies you will see almost always lower tyre pressures at the front than the rears.

they are set this way to ensure smaller slip angles at the rear, because higher slip angles at the back compared to the front would

open the possibility of unpridictable oversteer.

This applies to our cars.and not front wheel drive which is a whole diffent ball game, ansd why SWMBO's Peugeot is harder at the front.

John.

If you look at any tyre pressure chart from the period of the sixties and seventies you will see almost always lower tyre pressures at the front than the rears.

they are set this way to ensure smaller slip angles at the rear, because higher slip angles at the back compared to the front would

open the possibility of unpridictable oversteer.

John.

John,

After many years following this rule, I was told by a vintage racer to be harder (28 psi, 2 kg/cm2) in the front for precise track and cornering and softer in the rear (26psi, 1.8 kg/cm2) for better grip and motricity. I found this to change the car behaviour in a tremendous way. if you drive fast, these are the good figures. If not, use whatever.

Roger may have a silly hat but he makes a lot of sense, even forward-wise.

Over,

Badfrog

Edited by Badfrog

Yep for track use Jf but not for road

Sure Neil, the problem is I'm constantly confusing both.

Another of my senior moments at the wheel.

Badfrog

PS: It's great to overspeed again ....

Without proferring any advice, I'd just point out that tyre pressures and front/rear differences are somewhat different for IRS cars than for the earlier live-axle TR2-4 (and non-IRS 4As). Best option is to start from the original recommended pressures and make small adustments at either end until you get the right balance for your own car and driving style.

I know mine is a 6, but I find the 24 front/26 rear to work really well for me (vredestein T-Trac 165s). It seems much more pointy but in a good way. It gives me more confidence. In fact it seem amazing how a little extra psi here or there makes such a big difference.

Q

• 2 weeks later...

dbug - you might like to try the 24fr and 26r as I did recently and have stuck with them as my 4a feels 'better'..

Track day next week and I'll increase the front to 28psi as badfrog suggests.

I would if it was still on the road mate - currently laid up in my garage :(