Leather Seat Covers - MX5, re-upholstery advice?

I would welcome a bit of advice please:

I have been looking at those nice MX5 leather seats on Ebay, the guy from Wiltshire (pubapp). They look terrific. However, If I were to buy some covers and pick up a set of tatty seats (assuming foams are OK). I could save a good £100 to £150. That's a whole breezebreaker!

So here are my questions: Has anyone else done this and can I expect good results? Can anyone recommend a supplier? Does anyone have any experience of the quality of the covers from "carseats4u" on Ebay?

Quentin

Quentin

I thought something similar a few months ago. My experience with MX5 seat foams is that they are pretty durable unless the cover is knackered in which case they may be damaged. The foam sits in a steel pan which is not painted and does rust. There's a firm based on Teeside that periodically advertises leather seat trim for about £200. I can't immediately remember the name but they advertise on ebay periodically and also have a website. Just as I was about to buy a set from them I saw a pair of leather seats on ebay for £200 so bought them instead. I spent the money I'd saved on heaters for the seats....

David

I had an old pair of MX5 seats that I had to take the leathers off to fix a tear on the seat. To refix under the seat I used cable tie wraps instead of those fiddly rings, worked a treat.

Later I had them recovered, you will save a lot of money if you can do it yourself and, the colour matches the rest of the trim (if) the leather quality is good.

Hi Quentin

I recovered my MX5 seats with the leather kit from Prestige, a relatively easy job to do at home, excellent fit and the leather quality is good [this is worth checking out on aftermarket covers, there's leather and there's leather!] they are also a good bit cheaper than the ones on Ebay, if you are buying old seats make sure the foams are good, you can still buy the foams from Mazda dealers but they are pretty pricey.

RonA

Hmm, Prestige don't seem to offer leather seat covers for MX5 seats with removeable head rests. In fact they seem to exclude all UK spec MX5s sadly. Having said that, at £358 for leather they are a lot more than carseats4u at £199. However, that is partly why I posted this enquiry. I was hoping maybe someone else has used carseats4u and could comment on quality. Frankly, if they cost much more than that I should probably go to Paul Bishop and get his.

there was a chap who posted on here about having had his MX5 seats recovered in black leather but with the panels matching the original TR6 design. The photos looked supurb but I can't find the thread. I think the trimmer was in the Liverpool/Cheshire area from memory.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I tried to put carseats4u into google and nothing came up except carmats4u. Same people?

or could you post a link, please, Quentin?

Chris, I followed that Post too. They looked great. The trimmers were Newton Commercial in Leyton, Suffolk and I talked to them. The price was pretty high though. I think about £600 or £700 to cover. Sadly I deleted the email, But I just called them again to ask them to resend it to me. Either way though, it wasn't small change sadly. This is the post http://www.tr-regist...l=&fromsearch=1

David, carseats4u are in ebay. If you search "MX5 leather seats" in ebay they come up. They look OK but what can you tell from a photo? Not sure it would be obvious too me in the flesh either (or should I say in the "hide" :rolleyes: ). Anyway, here's the link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-MX5-Leather-seats-/320789630570?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ab08d4e6a#ht_720wt_952

Edited by Quentin

Quentin,

Thanks for the link, it seems I posted on it so I could have looked at my history!

I wonder if Paul Bishop could do something like that if he was sent a copy of the photo. That would be the ideal solution for me as he is 'just up the road' :D

Hi,

I used Julie Munday in Northampton to recover my TR4A seats. She trades as Minismum She did an excellent job and will recover almost any seat. Mine cost about £140 for both seats in leather about four years ago.

tel 01604 881915.

website (which seems to have aproblem today) www.minismum.co.uk

Good luck

TT

Edited by tthomson

So I went with Paul Bishop's seats in the end. The clincher was the style he did for me. I am very chuffed with them :)

Yep, that clinches it for me too. Did he charge his standard price? It looks like there is probably more stitching involved in this style.

Just had mine done by John Roberston in Shildon, Nr Darlington. An excellent job with everything in black leather, except the "contact" areas - squab and backrest - which are in black cloth to the standard Mazda pattern. He also replaced the shot foam. They look superb and are very comfortable.

Jim