looking backwards

The choice of external rear view mirrors at the car place, and in the Moss cattledog, is minimal.

My inherited Moss ones can't be adjusted to see behind, and the passenger side one just fell to bits on me.

I decided to see what is on offer at motorcycle shops.

They have dozens to choose from. Seems to be only a colour choice of silver or black, and of course the distance beteen the bolt holes is not the same.

The ones that I purchased will let me see behind - they are black so I'll have to spray them body colour in due course.

LJ,

if you can't find any 'classic' ones why not go off at a tangent and use modern mirrors that look good.

I had the normal Bullet mirrors and couldn't see a thing behind (especially in France) so I looked around and noted that the Audi TT Mk1 mirrors

had a lovely round, bulbous shape similar to the bonnet bulge.

I can now see far off galaxies (and people on them) - electric as well B)

Roger

LJ,

if you can't find any 'classic' ones why not go off at a tangent and use modern mirrors that look good.

I had the normal Bullet mirrors and couldn't see a thing behind (especially in France) so I looked around and noted that the Audi TT Mk1 mirrors

had a lovely round, bulbous shape similar to the bonnet bulge.

I can now see far off galaxies (and people on them) - electric as well B)

Roger

Have you a photo of the mirrors on your car and are they easy to fit

Cheers

John.

Hi John,

I'll tyry and dig a pic out later today.

As for fitting - they are not the easiest of things.

There is a pedestal in the centtre of the fixing that sits on a horizontal platform fashioned from the door skin etc.

This is not too easy on the TR door as the door is much thinnner than an Audi door.

So, the pedestal needs to be cut at an angle to sit on the TR door. The cut off portion is then fitted inside the door to act as an angled washer for the bolts to go through.

I think the horizontal platform could be sorted but once done you wil be stuck with the mirrors as you will have quite a hole in the door.

However if you like the mirrors then there would be no need to remove them.

Roger

Hiya Jimbo,

I bought some mirrors from a company called Malz. I don't know if you have them in Canberra but I looked for ages for a period type mirror that was FULLY adjustable. The cost I believe about $29.95 each so not too bad. Fitting is dead easy using two 5mm stainless nuts and bolts (don't use the self tappers supplied).

Cheers

Tony

Piccy below

IMGP2789.JPG

I am now on my fourth attempt to find side mirrors that actually work, and have found success at last. I tried two types of bullet mirrors, but driving in modern freeway traffic was extremely dangerous, because it was guesswork as to whether there were cars beside me or behind me. I then tried the Tex MB32 series, but could not adjust them sufficiently to see properly. I finally settled on the Tex M68 series, and they work perfectly. I had to fit the M9987 plinth on one side where the mounting point was close to vertical, but the mount is long enough that I was able to cover all the previous holes. These mirrors are also more or less period correct, so my cars was able to win its concours class at the latest Triumph Register of America concours, and also safely drive to Fort Wayne, Indiana and back from Toronto. After using these, I would never mount bullet mirrors again - too dangerous. You can find the mirrors at My link . I ordered directly from Tex.

I'm fine driving the car without side mirrors - a bit like riding a bike!

However, I know what you mean, and my drive to Harrogate this year is going to include a significant amount of motorway whether I like it or not. I don't want to drill my doors, so I bought a convex mirror that slips over the top of the existing rear view mirror - gives great all round vision. And I can take it off when I don't want it.

I got it from an Autojumble at Malvern earlier this year so can't actually help with where to get one from, but maybe another idea for you or others.

Cheers,

Bri.

Hi JJC, we drove to Fort Wayne for the Annual Meeting (and concours) of the Triumph Register of America, and it was a great place to visit. Indiana was the centre of the US auto industry around 1900, but was essentially wiped out by the Depression. The highlight was the Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg Museum, and there were a number of other museums and great driving roads. TRA is a small but very active group, and their judging guidelines for TR2/TR3/TR4 are probably the best in the world, if originality is your thing. Next year's meeting is in the mountains of North Carolina, and we're looking forward to that. We had considered driving to Colorado for the VTR convention, but decided that would be a bit much. However, another possibility is driving Route 66. And of course, proper mirrors are essential on the Interstates :P .

Very neat and, if you can vibrate your head at

the same rate as the mirror, very effective!

Very good. I just have a period rear view mirror that wobbles like crazy. It was certainly entertaining if not particularly useful.

I too cannot bring myself to drill holes in the doors, so will keep the on board entertainment as is if I can't fix it with something..