Suddenly I cannot get the gearstick to lift so that it will go into reverse gear. It does not matter if the engine is running or not.

We have taken the stick out and compared it with other ones, nothing.

We have put in new screw adjusters in and set them up, nothing.

We have given the whole area a good supply of grease, nothing.

The liitle spring and ball was there.

When the stick is out the three shift rods in the top cover sit perefctly aligned and can be moved very easilly with a piece of wood. No feeling of sticking anywhere.

It seems that the domed piece of metal under the cap with the bayonette cutouts does not move or does not allow the gearlever to lift up through the metal dome's hole. There is a lip on the gearlever.

When I wobble the gearlever around for sometime, it then suddenly goes very smoothly into gear.

The gear changes are all very smooth. (Laycock clutch)

Anybody had something like this before.

Suddenly I cannot get the gearstick to lift so that it will go into reverse gear. It does not matter if the engine is running or not.

When the stick is out the three shift rods in the top cover sit perefctly aligned and can be moved very easilly with a piece of wood. No feeling of sticking anywhere.

It seems that the domed piece of metal under the cap with the bayonette cutouts does not move or does not allow the gearlever to lift up through the metal dome's hole. There is a lip on the gearlever.

When I wobble the gearlever around for sometime, it then suddenly goes very smoothly into gear.

Dont whetever you do change the positions of the selector rods without the gear lever ( ie with that piece of wood) as you could get twe gears selected at once! Bang.

the gear lever does not lift to go into reverse. not in my car anyway.

it just sort of clicks then goes across to reverse postion.

if you have the gearbox tunnel cover off.take of the top of the gbox and check.

and check the reverse gear lever is all ok.

as you look into the gear box it is at the rear left side of box.

its quite simple it only swings back and forward engaging the reverse gear.

the levers is fixed and pivots on a bolt through the side of the gear box.

has the nut come loose on the out side of the box. or has the lever bent.

richard

Edited by rpurchon

the gear lever does not lift to go into reverse. not in my car anyway.

it just sort of clicks then goes across to reverse postion.

if you have the gearbox tunnel cover off.take of the top of the gbox and check.

and check the reverse gear lever is all ok.

as you look into the gear box it is at the rear left side of box.

its quite simple it only swings back and forward engaging the reverse gear.

the levers is fixed and pivots on a bolt through the side of the gear box.

has the nut come loose on the out side of the box. or has the lever bent.

richard

Mine has always had to 'lift' before and after a full rebuild!

You should have to lift to select reverse as there should be a step up to the reverse selector cup though lots have the edge worn off by now with people not bothering ;)

Is the large spring fitted the right way up?

Stuart.

I am on my 3rd TR6 and none of them have required the gear stick lifting to get reverse (they were all CP from 1970 to 1972)and the large spring should be small diameter on the bottom. To get reverse there is a small amount of resistance as you knock the lever across.

Rob

Dont whetever you do change the positions of the selector rods without the gear lever ( ie with that piece of wood) as you could get twe gears selected at once! Bang.

There should be an interlock mechanism, Moss catalogue page 28 item 42 and 43, which will prevent this.

Cheers,

Richard.

When I looked at the LHS slider rod the notch was higher than the cutouts for the forward gears. Which must mean lift the stick. I have never lifted the stick on a Triumphs before not even on my factory new ones. So I presume there was some type of gliding function that got the stick it into reverse.

The spring is the right way up. The locating pin screws have been checked in two different ways. 1. as per workshop manual 2. Feeling the amount of play. The result was the same, no go. Screws have been exchanged.

Why has this suddenly happened?

To cap it again. The difficulty is getting the bottom of the gear lever, to go into the cutout on the reverse gear shift rod. After that changing gear is as sweet as you can get it.

Edited by Peter Douglas Winn

Er Sorry but I don't think selecting two gears at the same time is possible. Unless the interlock system has been disabled/removed?

Tony

Edited by Bald Rick

When I looked at the LHS slider rod the notch was higher than the cutouts for the forward gears. Which must mean lift the stick. I have never lifted the stick on a Triumphs before not even on my factory new ones. So I presume there was some type of gliding function that got the stick it into reverse.

The spring is the right way up. The locating pin screws have been checked in two different ways. 1. as per workshop manual 2. Feeling the amount of play. The result was the same, no go. Screws have been exchanged.

Why has this suddenly happened?

To cap it again. The difficulty is getting the bottom of the gear lever, to go into the cutout on the reverse gear shift rod. After that changing gear is as sweet as you can get it.

Try it without the anti-rattle spring and plunger in place.

I am on my 3rd TR6 and none of them have required the gear stick lifting to get reverse (they were all CP from 1970 to 1972)and the large spring should be small diameter on the bottom. To get reverse there is a small amount of resistance as you knock the lever across.

Rob

How strange! I bought my CP car at 16,000 miles and in all the years I've owned and run it I've had to lift the stick before pulling it back for reverse! :blink:

Edited by Denis

How strange! I bought my CP car at 16,000 miles and in all the years I've owned and run it I've had to lift the stick before pulling it back for reverse! :blink:

One should have to lift it. But I imagine that if some ape were to bang it across for long enough, the protecting ridge would eventually round off.

As I did until I complained about it being 'difficult' to get into reverse, and Stuart corrected me....

None of which helps the OP :unsure:

Ivor

I think I know why with some cars you have to lift the stick and others not. It depends on the angle of the bottom of the cut out in the part Pt No 127385. If it is turned slightly anti clockwise then the edge of the cutout, nearer the bottom of the gear lever would be somewhat higher. This will mean instead of sliding across there is a definate step to negotiate. Don't ask me why it should turn.

I think I know why with some cars you have to lift the stick and others not. It depends on the angle of the bottom of the cut out in the part Pt No 127385. If it is turned slightly anti clockwise then the edge of the cutout, nearer the bottom of the gear lever would be somewhat higher. This will mean instead of sliding across there is a definate step to negotiate. Don't ask me why it should turn.

There is some logic in what you say, as already stated by me none of my cars has had a lifting gearstick and having tried to lift the one on my current car it has no vertical movement so the theory that an edge has been worn off will not stack up as the lever would still be liftable if designed to do so, they must differ from what members have said.

Rob P

Rob

We are pretty sure it is something to do with the cut out and the bottom of the gear stick. We are now wondering if the 156460 tension cap (bayonette type) and 112442 spring retainer are worn. Unfortunately when I sold my two G/Bs I sold them with the gear lever. I have now found out that these parts are not available anymore, how stupid can you get? Can anyone help?

Coming to this a bit later, I've never had to lift my gear lever to get into reverse, though it does take a bit of a push. But I thought I'd check the Handbook. It says nothing about lifting the lever. It just says "Move the lever sharply to the extreme right and rearward". So it looks as though Triumph did not design it to need a lift.

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I have now replaced the bayonette cap piece and the small cap underneath. New adjusting screws. Cleaned and greased everything and put it back with the little ball bearing. It now works again.

I looked at the step in the reverse shaft it was worn down to a slope that's why, I normally did not have to lift the gear.

The ineresting thing was, the adjustements on the screws as per book and per feeling, were wrong. The LHS adjuster ( the one for the 3rd and 4th gear) was casuing the problem and combined with the broken bayonette edge was making it impossible to set it up properly. Why it suddenly happened? I still have no explanation.

Thanks for all your help.