165 is just right for 4a but if you insist then you had better make sure that you have beefed up all your suspension mounts and your drive shafts. Yokies are good but a bit too sticky, they will hang on far too long and when they do let go its waaaay too late. 65 section is better.(oh and you have got to remember more rolling resistance)

Stuart

Hi Mark,

i'm with the 165 brigade. I have been using Firestone F560 which work well.

They have never cause a probem and stick to the road very well.

Alas they have stoppped making them about 2 years ago for the UK.

I Now have a pair of Continental Contacts on the back which appear to work well.

Roger

I'm in the 165 club too!

Using ARE Silverstone mags - great feel and good grip.

The contact patch is no smaller; just a different shape.

Currently using the Continentals too (CT22's I think) and they've been very very good.

http://www.tr-4.com/My_Albums/Pages/Photos_3.html#3

Tempted to try The Vredestein's when they need replacing though.

Cheers

Ade

Edited by Ade-TR4

Hi, firstly I must say my tyre size is limited as I have 4.5 ins wire wheels. After using 185-15 for a couple of years I went onto Firestones F560 165/80/15 about 18000 miles ago( the original size fitted by Triumph) and liked the easy handling and ride. The Firestones are however an old design with no advantages over tyres produced 30 years ago unlike the latest offerings from Toyo, Hankook and Vredestein which use modern materials and design criteria. I have therefore just fitted a pair of Hankook OPTIMO K715 165/80 R15 to the front (£86 for a pair delivered from "MyTyres.co.uk") and so far I am pleased with the result. They look right on the car and have a similar tread pattern to the Firestones but with what appears to be a slightly softer and flexible sidewall.

I do about 4500 miles a year so won't take long to find out if it's been a good choice.

I am running Pirelli P7's with 205/65 on the back and 195/65 on the front. The back tyres are the same circumferance as the originals so your speedo wont be out.

I think the fifth word in the original question got in by mistake. ;)

Well other than the odd 100 yds down the road, I've not driven my 4a or any other 4/4a to that matter. The nearest was a 3a, so I really have nothing to compare it to when I hopefully soon get MOT'd and off..

I've already lowered the car with stiffer springs and adjustable schocks, PU bushes fitted and an anti roll bar is ready to go on the front when the front valence/pan is back from the powder coaters.

We'll see, as quite clearly the preference is for 165's..

It always pays to drive a car in its standard state or as found/bought/inherited before making improvements and upgrades. It can save you money and also avoid spoiling the characteristics of the car. I would strongly recommend you borrow a set of standard wheels and tyres if possible, before fitting the ARB and buying new tyres. I'm sure your local group would be able to help.

I had 195's on my car when I bought and drove it like that for years - little feel ( other than parking ) and when it let go....it did. especially in the rain. I would go for 165's or 185's ( as I have ) depending on what else you have had done to the suspension etc.

It's a shame I didn't know about this in 2008....I could have sold you mine and then you could have sold them on shortly after :lol:

I had 195's on my car when I bought and drove it like that for years - little feel ( other than parking ) and when it let go....it did. especially in the rain. I would go for 165's or 185's ( as I have ) depending on what else you have had done to the suspension etc.

It's a shame I didn't know about this in 2008....I could have sold you mine and then you could have sold them on shortly after :lol:

Thanks - I had no idea in 2008 that I's own a 4a, so that would have been one good crystal ball..

I'll try the new 185's for a while and see how it feels. Not sure about the tyre quality either..