Aux lamps, what combination ?

As I look forward a few months I see fitting a new wiring loom in my future and I would like to make provision for some additional lighting as my nighttime eyesight is ****. On the TR6 I put 2 fog lamps mounted low and they are very effective at night especially on dark rural roads where you never know if a bear or a moose is going to leap out of the woods. I know historically one driving lamp and one fog lamp was normal but modern cars all seem to have 2 fog lamps and that works for my TR6.

Before I commit to the dual fog lamps does anyone care to talk me out of it and suggest a different combination ?

These would be mounted on a chromed badge bar that connects the two front overriders and has two brackets for aux lamps, as shown in this picture:

1000006277_main_lg.jpg

Stan

Stan,

Stick with a spot and fog.

Here’s an old photo (very early 80s) of TuRK wearing a pair of Lucas originals............……

Edit - Note to Pete Fenlon, notice the bumper, patina, old boy, patina! :D

55635094c358ce804a8bb13677c41c5b3c508def2a94269d869183d1.jpg

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Hi Stan

Others might disagree but for bright white lights go for a HID Zenon headlamp conversion kit, they are unbelievable & transform nightime driving I have had them fitted for four years without any problem.

Cheers

Mike B)

Andrew, the fog/spot combination has its advantages as well as the classic look. It does complicate the installation a bit since it needs two wires and two switches. Speaking of switches I saw a car at the VTR national last year that had two switches that were the same style as the other dash switches. They were mounted on a panel attached under the dash and they were marked F and D (for Fog and Drive). I wonder if those switches are available anywhere ?,

Mike, I will explore alternative headlamps but part of my motivation is also to beef up the look of the front end. The TR3A already looks a bit girly with the wide mouth and the powder blue color isnt going to help it so I'm hoping that some extra lamps will make it look a bit more manly..

Stan

Andrew, the fog/spot combination has its advantages as well as the classic look. It does complicate the installation a bit since it needs two wires and two switches. Speaking of switches I saw a car at the VTR national last year that had two switches that were the same style as the other dash switches. They were mounted on a panel attached under the dash and they were marked F and D (for Fog and Drive). I wonder if those switches are available anywhere ?,

Mike, I will explore alternative headlamps but part of my motivation is also to beef up the look of the front end. The TR3A already looks a bit girly with the wide mouth and the powder blue color isnt going to help it so I'm hoping that some extra lamps will make it look a bit more manly..

Stan

Stan the switches are easy to come by, its the knobs with the right lettering that are more difficult. They were fitted to quite a lot of fifties cars and a good trawl round fleabay will usually yield a few for cheap. FWIW I fitted a pair into Baldricks "H" frame for his spot and fan switches.

Stuart.

Stan, it's worth at least upgrading the headlamps to H4 Halogen bulbs. Mine vastly improved night vision over the originals. The connectors need to be changed over for 3 pin H4 bulbs and headlamp relays are worthwhile.

Moss US has a good range of options for headlamp upgrades, including the P700 tripod lamps with H4 bulbs that I use.

The circular repro Lucas 5.5" fog and driving lamps that Moss US offer always look the part on an early TR.

Regards,

Viv.

ok, I am swayed. One fog and one driving lamp it will be along with the H4 headlamps.

Neil, not sure Debbie will go for the no bumper look although I could always claim I lost them during the rebuild along with the valve springs and cotters that seem to have evaporated, hopefully temporarily.

Stan.

As I look forward a few months I see fitting a new wiring loom in my future and I would like to make provision for some additional lighting as my nighttime eyesight is ****. On the TR6 I put 2 fog lamps mounted low and they are very effective at night especially on dark rural roads where you never know if a bear or a moose is going to leap out of the woods. I know historically one driving lamp and one fog lamp was normal but modern cars all seem to have 2 fog lamps and that works for my TR6.

Before I commit to the dual fog lamps does anyone care to talk me out of it and suggest a different combination ?

These would be mounted on a chromed badge bar that connects the two front overriders and has two brackets for aux lamps, as shown in this picture:

1000006277_main_lg.jpg

Stan

Hello Stan. Where did you source your badge bar and how does it attach?

The reproduction switches are available from Holden, Holden - UK

For the real thing you are stuck with flea-bay or auto-jumbles.

I'm going to use this type on a period-correct switch/plate for fog/spots and also a reversing lamp. The illuminated "pull" is a reminder that the lamp is turned ON.

periodswitchwithmountingplate-2.jpg

bulamp10-1.jpg

Hello Stan. Where did you source your badge bar and how does it attach?

The reproduction switches are available from Holden, Holden - UK

For the real thing you are stuck with flea-bay or auto-jumbles.

I'm going to use this type on a period-correct switch/plate for fog/spots and also a reversing lamp. The illuminated "pull" is a reminder that the lamp is turned ON.

Frank, thanks for the Holden link. They have an F knob but no D but the do have an S knob so that would also work

The badge bar looks like the Moss badge bar. I got it at the VTR auction last year at Jekyll Island. It attaches via the top fasteners in the overriders. It is similar to the one they show here

http://mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29609&SortOrder=2

But it is the less expensive bar that does not extend beyond the overrider. It has two tabs with holes for the Fog and Spot lamps and of course accommodates badges that are attached by chromed clips.

Stan

Frank, thanks for the Holden link. They have an F knob but no D but the do have an S knob so that would also work

The badge bar looks like the Moss badge bar. I got it at the VTR auction last year at Jekyll Island. It attaches via the top fasteners in the overriders. It is similar to the one they show here

http://mossmotors.co...609&SortOrder=2

But it is the less expensive bar that does not extend beyond the overrider. It has two tabs with holes for the Fog and Spot lamps and of course accommodates badges that are attached by chromed clips.

Stan

It seems that the car in my original post was at the VTR event last Oct and I have a picture of the badge bar.

IMG_0560.jpg

This is how it attaches (different car, same style bar)

IMG_0594.jpg

Stan,

Concerning your switch, attached another solution: The Rallyman switch.

Discovered it some years ago on an autojumble, the label is clearly visible if you want one maybe it is still to find somewhere....

Regards - Raymond

Edited by sidescreen

Stan,

Concerning your switch, attached another solution: The Rallyman switch.

Discovered it some years ago on an autojumble, the label is clearly visible if you want one maybe it is still to find somewhere....

Regards - Raymond

Good "Period" accessory Raymond though I would imagine difficult to find another though.

Stan next time Im in my shed I will have a look as I may well have a couple of original switches You may just have to find the right legend knobs or have them engraved and then Tippex the white in.

Stuart.