Evening All

Another of my perhaps rather basic questions.

Every so often our 5 does not respond to the key prompt ie when trying to start we just get click.

It is getting more of a frequent happening. Just switching off the ignition and back on again once twice or three times and off we go again.

Starter motor on its way out is my thought. But as always I would appreciate thoughts and advice from those who have more idea than I, before I jump to the wrong conclusion and buy a starter motor and perhaps still have the same problem.

Many Thanks.

Nick.

Nick

Sounds more likely to be a loose connection or the ignition switch playing up.

Check the battery terminals are tight and vaselined up (I know you will enjoy this bit)

Less likely to be the starter motor......But what do I know!

Regards

Mark

Bit of diagnostics may help.

Ignition switch connects to the solenoid. The switch shouldn't make a 'click' anyway, no more than any other pin tumbler lock.

Solenoid connects to the starter. That can 'click' but not make the contacts touch so nothing goes to the starter.

HiTorque starter has its own solenoid. That moves the starter pinion into mesh with the flywheel ring, but only allows current to the starter motor when the teeth are in mesh. So if it doesn't/can't do that, it will just 'click'.

If someone can turn the switch for you, while you listen under the bonnet, you may be able to tell where the 'click' is coming from. A broomstick as a listening stick can help! Press one end to the part and the other to your ear, and you can hear clearly if the noise is from that item or not.

John

Nick

Sounds more likely to be a loose connection or the ignition switch playing up.

Check the battery terminals are tight and vaselined up (I know you will enjoy this bit)

Less likely to be the starter motor......But what do I know!

Regards

Mark

Mark

Funny you should mention vaseline, I had it out for some reason the other day I do not recall why now. :mellow:

Whilst the vaseline was handy I gave my poles a good rub with emery paper and slapped some vaseline on too. :)

Cheers.

Nick

Cheers for your thoughts.

Roger

The starter is not a high torque job as far as I know, it looks like it has been in situ for a long time ! We always get going soon enough, just can not help thinking one day we will not be lucky.

John

I shall start the checks you suggest, beats going out in the Easter Traffic.

Thanks.

Nick.

..Vaseline !!! interesting point.

Vaseline is a non conductive grease/gel (stuff) :o

By putting in on the battery terminals how does the electrickery get through. :blink:

Is it purely that the vaseline layer becomes very very thin where the terminals make contact. (Why not use an electrically conductive grease).

Has anybody got a reasonable answer. ;)

Roger

Edited by RogerH

If vaseline is non conductive then what's the stuff they put on the unconscious feller's chest just be fore they shout "Clear" on ER?

But seriously - i thought the vaseline was to go on after the connection is made to stop water based oxidising & corrosion?

Curiousity aroused and as I've used Vaseline on battery terminals for yonks, I experimented with my pot of V and my DMM (which uses a 15v battery for resistance measurements, so in the ball park for automotive testing).

It's not conductive, even at very short distances.

It is a very good barrier against moisture and acid though and I suspect on a battery terminal it gets pretty much squeezed into a microscopically thin layer when the terminal is tightened.

Could it be that however much it is famed as a lubricant, it isn't good at lubrication?

If that means keeping a thin layer between closely opposed surfaces, to they don't touch, when Vaseline does allow them to touch.

Researching "vaseline as a lubricant" took me some Internet places I'd rather not go, but the I found this page on the wonders of Petroleum jelly:http://www.ideamarketers.com/?articleid=1072455 which includes:

It was recommended by Porsche in the owner manual of their cars as a preservative for light alloy anodized Fuchs wheels to protect them against corrosion from road salts and brake dust. very three months (after regular cleaning) the wheels should be coated with petroleum jelly.4]

It was also recommended by Porsche in maintenance training documentation for lubrication (after cleaning) of "Weatherstrips on Doors, Hood, Tailgate, Sun Roof". The publication states "...before applying a new coat of lubricant...". "Only acid-free lubricants may be used, for example: glycerine, Vaseline, tire mounting paste, etc. These lubricants should be rubbed in and excessive lubricant wiped off with a soft cloth."

But if you download the manual at: http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Other/Porshe/Owners%20Manuals/porsche_911_carrera_owners_manual_2006.pdf

You will find that what it really says is:

"Battery care

Ensure that battery is securely mounted.

Keep terminals and connections clean and properly tightened. Corrosion can be prevented by coating the terminals and connections with petroleum jelly or silicone spray.

Ensure that vent caps are securely tightened to prevent spillage." My underline

But it also says, in the section on wheel care:

"Polishes which dissolve oxides, such as those frequently used for other metals, or abrasive tools or agents are unsuitable because they break down the oxide film of the protective coating and will cause discoloration of the wheel.

f Every three months, after cleaning, coat the wheels with a car wax or non-corrosive grease (vaseline).Using a clean cloth thoroughly rub the grease into the surface.

"

Could it also be that vaseline is less acidic than other greases?

I really can't bothered to do any more cybersurfing, so someone else find out!

John

Bit of diagnostics may help.

Ignition switch connects to the solenoid. The switch shouldn't make a 'click' anyway, no more than any other pin tumbler lock.

Solenoid connects to the starter. That can 'click' but not make the contacts touch so nothing goes to the starter.

HiTorque starter has its own solenoid. That moves the starter pinion into mesh with the flywheel ring, but only allows current to the starter motor when the teeth are in mesh. So if it doesn't/can't do that, it will just 'click'.

If someone can turn the switch for you, while you listen under the bonnet, you may be able to tell where the 'click' is coming from. A broomstick as a listening stick can help! Press one end to the part and the other to your ear, and you can hear clearly if the noise is from that item or not.

John

When my TR6 was dailt driver I had that 'click' intermittently. I carried a stick - not to listen - but to thump the starter solenoid wihtout getting hands grubby. Always worked. And impressed passengers no end.

And if the above fails, get your mate Billy to turn the key and you whack the starter motor mit an ammer, that makes the brush gear afraid of the next heavier whack and will always start you up.

no probs guaranteed.