One of the headlamp rims in my USA-spec 1959 TR3A i.e. with wide rims, needs replacing or rechroming. Since the rim is probably made out of brass (at least something non ferrous) and the rivets holding the clips are steel, it seems that they need to be separated for the chroming process.

My first question: Where can I get such chrome rivets, or at least similar solid rivets that can be later chromed? I cannot find them at Moss, Holden, Anglo-Parts, etc. I am reluctant to use plain pop rivets at teh top of the rim.

Before arriving to this point, I thought I could change to the narrow rims, that are much cheaper, and so I purchased two of them. However, they came with the lower clip and a nice chromed rivet, but without the upper clip or a hole for the corresponding rivet, which is the only visible when the rim is in place.

My second question: Is it possible to obtain rims (either narrow or wide) with the clips (at least the upper one) already fixed by the chrome rivets?

Any other suggestion on how to renovate the original wide rim, or how to change to narrow ones, keeping a nice chromed solid rivet at the top?

Thanks for your comments.

Jesus

Jesus, there were 3 x different headlight rims used. Early rims had a recessed hole in the bottom for a CSK metal screw.

Next came a "snap on" rim in narrow then wide - could the narrow set you purchased be spun around 180 degrees so the rivet is at the top and used as a snap on ?.

Regards,

Viv.

Hi There, Jesus

If you were very careful you could punch out the old rivets with a centre punch and have them stripped of chrome before re-assembling. However I too think that they would have all been

chromed as a single assembly anyway.

I am restoring a US car and managed to get brand new old stock rims on ebay form the States. Also got brand new UK Old stock Lucas tripods as well, truly a lucky find.( I'm switching to RHD)

Anyone know what the best bulb configuration is for original Tripod reflectors?

Regards

Bill G

Hi Jesus

I have just had an all steel bracket that I made to hold my door mounted external wing mirror, chromed at a place called TRADUSA in Murcia for €10.00, so I dont see why you need to strip the rims because of dissimilar metals.

Dave

Hi Jesus

I have just had an all steel bracket that I made to hold my door mounted external wing mirror, chromed at a place called TRADUSA in Murcia for €10.00, so I dont see why you need to strip the rims because of dissimilar metals.

Dave

Count your blessings, $130 here to re-chrome a brake handle. Perhaps I haven't found the right place? Any chrome shop suggestions from members in the US or Canada? Tom

Thanks for all the interesting comments.

Viv, the correct rims for my TR3A are the snap-on version (impossible to use a screw because the not so much protruding headlights as in Tr2-3), and wide, as for USA and Canada. Those rims seem to use two different catches at the top and at the bottom, specific for TRs. The narrow rims I wanted to use came only with the catch used at the bottom.

Don and Dave, the issue of detaching rivet from rim is because the chroming shop uses different baths for removing the chrome from ferrous parts and from non-ferrous parts. And it seems that the liquids used are aggressive for the other metal. So, when removing chrome from the rim, the rivet and catch would be dissolved.

One solution would be detaching the rivets and catches, removing chrome from the rim and eventually from the rivets and later assembling everything before chroming the entire ensemble, as suggested by Bill. I will buy some 1/16”brass rivets in ebay just in case the original rivets are not recoverable.

However, I still wonder if the rims regularly supplied by vendors have the necessary two catches with the chrome rivets.

Jesús

• 2 weeks later...
Guest colinTR2

billg - a year or two back there was a chap at the International selling halogen bulbs 65/55 watt for the Tripod BPF lights. They were £15 each at the time. The only problem is that the focus is not brilliant and the lights will need adjusting, I made use of the next MOT in our local garage. He is Bernard Bryant and he has a website www.classic-spares-electrical.com

The bulbs are made in Oz by a guy who discovered how to make them and then set up in business to make them for the likes of Tripods. I recall there may be a reference on the Bryant website.

best of luck

Colin

I did manage to get some halogen bulbs inside my tripod reflectors

(original ones, not the repro with the built-in sidelight) but had to

change the connection at the back.

TR Enterprises did the work - they should be able to give more details.

Lighting better, but still not exactly brilliant.

AlanR

Count your blessings, $130 here to re-chrome a brake handle. Perhaps I haven't found the right place? Any chrome shop suggestions from members in the US or Canada? Tom

Tom, I have not used these guys for chrome but I have used them for powder coating and been happy with the value/results. http://goodhues.net/index.html

They dont currently have an in-house chroming capability so they sub it out to someone but it might be worth a call just to compare costs.

Stan

Tom, I have not used these guys for chrome but I have used them for powder coating and been happy with the value/results. http://goodhues.net/index.html

They dont currently have an in-house chroming capability so they sub it out to someone but it might be worth a call just to compare costs.

Stan

Thanks Stan. Got another recommendation for J@E Specialty in Dover NH. They are right in my neighborhood and established 1929 but do not Google well. No lack of experience. There are several more in the NH- MA area. Seems the prices have gotten so high several newbies have gotten into the business. Perhaps this might make chrome a bit more affordable?

Tom