Help Please to identify this part

Trying to wrap up upper steering support (behind fascia) and can't identify this part. Maybe rear wing stay or rear bumper related but I only have one.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DSC04800-r1s.jpg

DSC04801-r1s.jpg

DSC04802-r1s.jpg

DSC04803-r1s.jpg

Hi Frank

I do believe that is a rear over-rider support bracket - cannot get access to my car to check, but it certainly looks familiar in that area...

Hope I am not giving you a bum steer!:o

Brgds

Edited by ianhoward

Hope you can orientate yourself with this view; steering column at left, heater vent at right. Mine is RHD so you might have to do some transposition.

steeringsup.jpg

Had mine in the 'left over bits' bin for a while until forum members showed me where it went. So far back I can't give credit to those who told me where to put it (in the polite sense).

Once you know where the top end has to go you can spot the threaded hole.

Edited by littlejim

Littlejim

I originally posted that location, then amended a couple of moments later!!! Looks like I may have been right initially - especially after the quite convincing pic of yours!B)

Cheers

Hope you can orientate yourself with this view; steering column at left, heater vent at right. Mine is RHD so you might have to do some transposition.

steeringsup.jpg

Had mine in the 'left over bits' bin for a while until forum members showed me where it went. So far back I can't give credit to those who told me where to put it (in the polite sense).

Once you know where the top end has to go you can spot the threaded hole.

Yes, I see clearly now as the song goes. Dreaded "left over bits"

So, I should be able to "see" this on one of the parts catalog illustrations.

Mucho thanks folks!

Frank,

I think you will find that your bracket is one of a handed pair that are required to support the rear overiders.

The left hand end bolts to the overider and the right hand end onto the underside of the chassis.

The holes at both ends are slotted to allow adjustment to the verticality of the overider and to ensure it clears the opening boot lid.

The same parts were used on the TR4A, TR5 & TR250.

Regards, Richard

and to ensure it clears the opening boot lid.

We are talking about a TR3 here. Not much chance of any overrider

bracket fouling the boot lid.

It's not unlike the TR2/3 rear wing stay, but that is a bit shorter

and the dishing on that bracket is not so pronounced.

Steering bracket, I think, as has been shown.

AlanR

Looking at Frank's ruler alongside the item . . . . for sure it's not the rear wing stay, and not an overrider stay either, although it's very similar. Steady bracket for the steering column as far as I can see. It's not that long ago I had to work through too many of this and similar brackets from the Alannids Cave stock, and I got a pretty good idea of which was which !!

Cheers,

Alec

Looking at Frank's ruler alongside the item . . . . for sure it's not the rear wing stay, and not an overrider stay either, although it's very similar. Steady bracket for the steering column as far as I can see. It's not that long ago I had to work through too many of this and similar brackets from the Alannids Cave stock, and I got a pretty good idea of which was which !!

Cheers,

Alec

I discussed this mystery part with Brian today. We have decided that this part is a "red herring" possibly from another car that somehow got mixed into the lot of parts. Full report to follow! :)

I want to thank everyone who responded. Sometimes parts get mixed up, don't they?

Mystery solved . . . I think.

Part Number 611642, 43

rear overider tie bracket. left and right

illustration from Triumph TR4 Spare Parts Catalog

mysterypart.jpg