Interior lighting

Hi,

I currently have no interior lights in my 1969 TR6. There is no lighting above the centre console controls (heater, choke, ignition key etc.) so the ignition key is damn near invisible at night! Questions:

Do I fit the original spec transmission tunnel lamp? - Does it throw out enough light to see the ignition key?

What are the alternatives?

Any photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Paul

Hi,

I currently have no interior lights in my 1969 TR6. There is no lighting above the centre console controls (heater, choke, ignition key etc.) so the ignition key is damn near invisible at night! Questions:

Do I fit the original spec transmission tunnel lamp? - Does it throw out enough light to see the ignition key?

What are the alternatives?

Any photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I will be interested in this thread.

I find the transmission light pretty useless, and was looking for nice looking light to go in each footwell,

and replacement for transmission tunnel.

As yet have drawn a blank :mellow:

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Guy

Have a word with niel.You may be able to use the same lights as he has for his number plate ( Rear )and fit them / it where the two bolds go that retain the H frame to the bottem of the dash.Alternatly just fit a boot light in a kidney panel.

Alan

Hi,

My 6 has two interior lights fitted into the screen surround, one each side, which come on with the footwell lights when either door is opened. Theses lights where fitted by Enginuity as part of the cars restoration. They are listed on the invoice at £9.00 the pair back in 2005 They give excellant light just where it is needed.

I will be doing the same on Baldricks. A pair of generic flat base mounted type interior lamps fitted up under the dash either side will generally provide enough illumination for most things. Unfortunately the LED bolt lights wont take much strain so no good for "H" frame retainers.

I found a pair of Stag door lights (flat with chrome bezel), that fit in the door panels. I will be fitting these to the foot wells. They look good and were cheap off Ebay. They are similar to the TR6 boot light.

Cheers

Tony

That looks pretty good Richard. Have you any idea what they are from? (No good to me anyway as I always have my sunvisors up forward on 4a, too tall for them to be of any use ;) )

Stuart.

That looks pretty good Richard. Have you any idea what they are from? (No good to me anyway as I always have my sunvisors up forward on 4a, too tall for them to be of any use ;) )

Stuart.

Stuart,

Revington sell them as a pair with switch and wireing instructions, or just the light unit.

I bought a set years ago, but lost them in a house move.

Bummer

Guy

Stuart,

Revington sell them as a pair with switch and wireing instructions, or just the light unit.

I bought a set years ago, but lost them in a house move.

Bummer

Guy

Thanks Guy (What I have just spent with Neil on panels I ought to ask him for a free set :lol: )

Stuart.

Im interested in this post too.

Im in the same boat. In fact due to what I assume was a wiring fault (since fixed) the PO had removed all courtesy lamps, including the boot!

Im toying with TonyMills idea of the door lights, as they will look nice and stock, but this means power into the doors which Im having issues sourcing the rubber grommet/tube/concertina thingy to protect the wiring between the car and door. (havent followed the lead of a Volvo one that was mentioned in a previous post by Stuart I think)

So the next best thing is a footwell light.

Option 1 for me is the LED strip lights. These are flexible and I was thinking they could be cable tied under the dash somewhere to follow the contour of perhaps the glovebox support or something similar. LED's also have the added advantage of low power + no heat. (something like this for example http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180489694802&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2175wt_1165)

Option 2 is a small round bezel LED lamp. I was thinking either in the cheek pad or again under the dash on a small 90 degree bracket pointing down into the footwell. Again, 12V and LED, so ideal for under dash. (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280454034799&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

Im not sure if they would throw out sufficient light into the cabin to be able to see the key though. This is where I think Tony's method of the door lights would be ideal as it throws the light over a wider area and not just the footwell.

Anyway...will keep an eye on this thread with interest.

Cheers

Andrew

Im interested in this post too.

Im in the same boat. In fact due to what I assume was a wiring fault (since fixed) the PO had removed all courtesy lamps, including the boot!

Im toying with TonyMills idea of the door lights, as they will look nice and stock, but this means power into the doors which Im having issues sourcing the rubber grommet/tube/concertina thingy to protect the wiring between the car and door. (havent followed the lead of a Volvo one that was mentioned in a previous post by Stuart I think)

So the next best thing is a footwell light.

Option 1 for me is the LED strip lights. These are flexible and I was thinking they could be cable tied under the dash somewhere to follow the contour of perhaps the glovebox support or something similar. LED's also have the added advantage of low power + no heat. (something like this for example http://cgi.ebay.com....ht_2175wt_1165)

Option 2 is a small round bezel LED lamp. I was thinking either in the cheek pad or again under the dash on a small 90 degree bracket pointing down into the footwell. Again, 12V and LED, so ideal for under dash. (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280454034799&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

Im not sure if they would throw out sufficient light into the cabin to be able to see the key though. This is where I think Tony's method of the door lights would be ideal as it throws the light over a wider area and not just the footwell.

Anyway...will keep an eye on this thread with interest.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Some 12 volt LED strips are flexible and have adhesive backs. The adhesive used is pretty good, but you need to ensure what you stick them to is very clean if you want them to stay stuck in place. I buy mine from Rapid Online

I don't know if they are a wider company than the UK, but there stuff is lower priced than RS or Farnell and they keep a wide range.

A 30 LED strip is 50cm long and 1 cm wide and will light your footwells extremely well. They can be cut into section each with three LEDs using ordinary scissors. You will need to do some soldering of wires, but it is not too difficult.

Good Luck

TT

• 2 weeks later...

The LED strip lights finally arrived today (slow boat from Hong Kong!) and just been out for a trial fit.

Theres a perfect spot/ledge just under the dash where the vinyl surround for the wood dash starts (hard to explain, but its a strip of plain metal)

Anyway, havent fitted them permanently yet, and just a trial fit, but I think they look really good.

As they say though, a pic says 1000 words..

InteriorTR6_1.jpg

InteriorTR6_3.jpg

InteriorTR6_2.jpg

Will take some more when both sides are in and wired properly.

Andrew

Edited by someone1975
  • 3 months later...

Evening all,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but Ive finally gotten round to installing the interior lighting in the TR.

For what its worth Im totally chuffed at how well its worked out....the installation was very straight forward and the end result is very pleasing with both the drivers and passenger footwells lighting up when either door is open. Theres also just enough ambient light in the cabin to make out the ignition barrel and all the other bits needed before starting the car..

Should add that the only issues Ive had are the rubbish quality of the cheap LED strip off eBay. Annoyingly id tested with one side, made sure it worked, test fitted, removed the sticky backing (cleaned the sticking surface with turps before), stuck it down, then plugged it in..and nada...nothing...dead as a dodo. So, currently waiting for a replacement. No major drama as its all of $12 (about 4 quid) so Im not too fussed. Needless to say ive purchased a few this time so If one fails again I have a few spare.

Anyway...if anyones interested I can help with the wiring as Its very simple..but for now heres the end results. The pics are good, but really dont do it justice. The light is very subtle and because its multiple LED's rather than a single light source (bulb) the spread of light is very good.

Probably should add that the LED's are white..its the camera flash (and no doubt my photographic skills) that gives it a blueish tint look.

Drivers side:-

TR6_Footwell.jpg

Boot (1m LED strip):-

TR6_Boot.jpg

Any help I can be just reply here or PM me.

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by someone1975

Hey Andrew you could get some pink ones and stick them to the diff!!!! B)

Mark

Lol...ya see Mark, if you drove you TR more, youd soon realise that due to the patented 'Triumph underbody rust prevention kit' AKA oil leaks, that theres no way anything would stick under there :lol: