Just replaced boot floor in 1959 TR3A. There are 3 openings from the fuel tank that need to go through the boot floor; fuel line, tank drain, and tank vent tube. I was wondering how the the boot floor was sealed where they penetrate the boot floor, and what is the diameter of the openings?

Thanks,

Robert

Just replaced boot floor in 1959 TR3A. There are 3 openings from the fuel tank

that need to go through the boot floor; fuel line, tank drain, and tank vent tube.

I was wondering how the the boot floor was sealed where they penetrate the boot floor,

and what is the diameter of the openings?

Thanks,

Robert

As far as I can remember, the holes for the drain plug and fuel take-off

had no grommet, although the tank did sit on a layer of felt.

The breather tube would be best fitted with a grommet similar to

those used on the engine bulkhead, just to stop the tube rattling.

Holes diameter - I know more or less, but that doesn't really help

you - I'll wait for someone to post the definitive answer.

The Parts Book would probably have some indicatiuon of originally

fitted grommets but I don't have mine to hand.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Robert,

Note that the phots and illustration are for a pre 60k car. My 1959 TR3a is post 60k and has the holes at that right and left extremities. I'll try and remember to note down the details this evening.

Rgds Ian

I had a grommet as Alan suggests for the overflow drain pipe (hose), but there is (and never was) anything to seal the other holes. I have never seen water splash up there to get above the floor pans for the boot area.

But you didn't go to Malvern in 2007biggrin.gif

However, I fitted a grommet for the overflow pipe on my post-TS60000 car and left the others free, so it's nice to know I got that right! The gaps are small enough and covered by the tank to not let water in (except in deep fords or floods), but will hopefully let water drain out if (when!) it gets in via the boot seal.

But you didn't go to Malvern in 2007biggrin.gif

The gaps are small enough and covered by the tank to not let water in (except in deep fords or floods), but will hopefully let water drain out if (when!) it gets in via the boot seal.

Unfortunately if water does get in on a pre 60k car it will tend to lay in the corners up against the hump and wont drain out. I have had to repair that area more than enough times ;)

and I did go to Malvern in 2007 but in the Volvo which is pretty amphibious! :lol:

Stuart

Unfortunately if water does get in on a pre 60k car it will tend to lay in the corners up against the hump and wont drain out. I have had to repair that area more than enough times ;)

and I did go to Malvern in 2007 but in the Volvo which is pretty amphibious! :lol:

Stuart

Stu: What hump/s do you mean? The wheel arches? Just curious because that surface is fairly flat. Perhaps a smallish drain hole?

floor_under_fueltank.jpg

Stu: What hump/s do you mean? The wheel arches? Just curious because that surface is fairly flat. Perhaps a smallish drain hole?

floor_under_fueltank.jpg

Frank with the way these cars sit the boot floor is slightly inclined forward and so water if it does find its way in will tend to sit in the corners (Usually passenger side due to the natural camber of most roads) up against the hump of the axle into each corner. A drain hole wouldnt go amiss.

Stuart.

Frank with the way these cars sit the boot floor is slightly inclined forward and so water if it does find its way in will tend to sit in the corners (Usually passenger side due to the natural camber of most roads) up against the hump of the axle into each corner. A drain hole wouldnt go amiss.

Stuart.

Ah!!! see what you mean, doesn't matter what it looks like unlaiden and on a flat shop floor, does it?

Ah!!! see what you mean, doesn't matter what it looks like unlaiden and on a flat shop floor, does it?

In practice a fully built car after a few miles will naturally settle to that attitude. Floor pans are the same.

Stuart.

floor_under_fueltank.jpg

There are two holes in the boot floor, one for the tank drain and one for the fuel line. Where does the vent hole penetrate the floor. Is there a seal for the tank inlet pipe? I would think that a seal would keep water out of the area? Anyone know the diameter of the holes cut in the floor for the fuel line and tank drain?

Edited by tr3aproj

The tank breather pipe came out through about a 1/2" hole in the rear right hand corner of the high bridge.

Its downpipe was 5/16" fuel line, and it came through a grommet, down to a clip on the side of the chassis.

You should see a hole drilled for that clip just back from the rearmost axle hoop fixing nut.

The two larger hole sizes can be scaled up pretty closely from Stuart's pic.

There is a rubber seal around the later push in petrol filler cap, or a flat washer around the earlier screw in type.

Regards,

Viv.

I will check the sizes of the large holes in the morning from my 2.

Stuart

The tank breather pipe came out through about a 1/2" hole in the rear right hand corner of the high bridge.

Its downpipe was 5/16" fuel line, and it came through a grommet, down to a clip on the side of the chassis.

You should see a hole drilled for that clip just back from the rearmost axle hoop fixing nut.

The two larger hole sizes can be scaled up pretty closely from Stuart's pic.

There is a rubber seal around the later push in petrol filler cap, or a flat washer around the earlier screw in type.

Regards,

Viv.

Thanks found the hole in my chassis. The clip is #59190 according to Spares catalog. I have not been able to find a vendor that carries the clip, they list #59191 instead. Anyone have a source for the #059190 clip?

Regards,

Robert

Robert, Moss Motors in Goleta CA www.mossmotors.com have the fuel line spring clips listed as part 589-070 for $1.10 each. They show as a TR4 part, but I'm confident from when I had my TR4 that they are the same clips as used for the sidescreen cars. Moss also has the tank overflow pipe grommet listed as part 565-050, again as a TR4 part.

Suggest you get their catalogue, as it's very helpful, and has a full range of update accessories.

Leaving it on the kitchen table approaching birthday time can sometimes yield something better than more sox and jox. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

I've mainly used The Roadster Factory in Armagh PA for parts over the years, and they may have the same fuel line spring clips, but don't carry as many sidescreen parts as they used to.

Regards,

Viv.